Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"On the go" (feet below the knees)

Today is the second day in a row that I have worked.  Usually I try to work, as in leave the house and see customers, only one day a week.  I also got a haircut today and had lunch with a friend.  But I have been on the go since about 9.  On the go in my case refers to any posture where the feet are below the knees.  I've been home about 15 minutes and I am now on the couch with my feet elevated.

I am not tired.  But my feet are uncomfortable.  My ankles look like little softballs sitting on top of my feet.  My knees are big round humps in the middle of my legs and the rest of my legs are bigger than regular size.  The bottoms of my feet tingle, but even that is not unbearable.  They ache where they are swollen.  And the solution is to elevate them.

It's very frustrating.

I would have liked to stop by the grocery store and pick up a rib of celery to make a waldorf salad.  I would have liked to collect the mail from the PO box.  I still need to go to the jewelry store and buy a longer bracelet for my charms to accommodate my larger arms.  And right now I would like to be sitting in my office dealing with the piles of paper, working on a sick computer, researching and just doing business.

But I just need to stop and get my feet up.  They won't recover completely until morning, if then.  I don't have much scheduled for tomorrow so I'll be able to take it easy.  Perhaps I will organize some way to put my feet up comfortably in the office.

When I sit down and put my feet up, my legs get stiff.  I put a pillow under my knees, but I still get stiff.  There is another part to this joint pain and that is pain when I touch bones near my skin.  This includes my knees (kneeling is very difficult and very painful,) my spine when I lean against the back of a chair, my hips when I sit down.  This contact pain nearly always subsides after a couple of minutes but it is severe enough to make me stop and think before I lean back.

It is a continuum, sometimes better sometimes worse.  Right now as I am writing this, it is worse.  But it is not the worst ever.  When it hurts the worst ever I have that deep jetted tub to fall into.

I have only one pair of shoes that I can wear and be on the go (see paragraph 1) for this long.  And they are looking pretty shabby.  Now that I have cute little flats to wear to the upcoming weddings I need to invest in some comfortable shoes to wear for walking, maybe some dark colored ones since the one good pair is red. Hahaha.

I haven't been able to work out that my feet suffer more when I eat more or less chocolate, but I do know that plenty of water usually nets out on the plus side.  Today I drank 3 12 oz bottles, just not enough perhaps.  I will keep the water glass topped off this afternoon.

Other news.  I had lunch at Chez Elle, http://www.chezellekc.com/, and it was terrific.  A genuine creperie, right here in Kansas City.  I recommend starting with a sweet crepe (Citron with lemon curd and strawberries,) then have a savory if you still have room.  The ambiance was magnifique.

Bon appetit!
~Cathi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi
What a fabulous weekend we had! Just hope i didn't tire you out.

Beat the volcanic ash to get home, otherwise you might have had me camping out with you for another few days :)

Hope the lizard consultant has positive things to say.

lots of love #2 GOT