Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yoga hurts

I took a yoga class at Turning Point this morning with Mom.  (We are both survivors now, instead of caretaker and survivor.)  It was the best class I've found, very basic.  But it just hurt like hell and I was mad as heck that I can't do some of the poses.  Things that were simple for me before this GVHD are impossible now--like downward dog.  Child pose requires so many props one could be forgiven for not recognizing it.

But the instructor was on point and I will go back.  The other yoga classes I've taken so far are way advanced and I spend most of my time figuring out how to modify the poses.  And I know these things.  Or I did know them.  The yoga this morning brought tears to my eyes more than once.  Because it successfully opened up some of those places that haven't been reached in my recovery.  The pain does not make me weep; the pain makes me angry.

There are some other symptoms of this chronic GVHD.  I have trouble swallowing.  A friend commented last weekend "you eat a lot, just not very much at one time."  And that's true.  I am constantly nibbling and sipping.  Little bites, little sips.  Makes a drink last a very long time--a plus I think.

And stuff runs through me a little faster than normal.  I reckon this is why I can eat so much and not gain weight.  The goal will be to maintain my weight and not lose.  Or not lose too much.  Frankly I think I could lose about 5# but that's based on the scale not my appearance.

Meanwhile, these house projects beckon.  I think I will try picking up the drill today and see if I can handle it with one hand.  If I can great; if I can't that will be the next goal.

I am racking up questions about my condition.  Making notes on convenient scraps of paper.  Hopefully I will have a nice list in my hand when I return to the clinic next week.
~Cathi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fabulous photo! You look really glamorous!

Thanks for keeping up the posts and telling us what's occuring on the GVHD front. Yoga and cortisone cream - a good combo.

Looking forward to checking out that downward dog pose in person :)

lots of love #2 GOT