Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chicago, Chicago. Oh that toddlin' town....

It's been a week of ups and downs. The graft v. host is driving me nuts. Itching, nothing tastes good, mouth tender. The blood work showed rising liver counts so I'm on an additional drug to deal with that.

The sinus infection is not going away nicely. I'm getting daily IV antibiotics at the clinic. I assume they haven't switched me to oral antibiotics because my counts are bobbling all over the place. I've had several transfusions this week. Platelets were 22 one day, 38 the next and 8 the day after that. This is down from well over 100 for weeks.

The only real news I've had is that they are going to make sure I get to Chicago for Christmas. The NP said "we will just transfuse you and throw you on the plane." KU will set something up with a BMT program in Chicago for a pre-flight refuel on the return trip. So I'm wrapping and packing. A person has to have platelets of 50 to fly.

We will do a bone marrow biopsy after Christmas to see what's going on. I expect the counts to be back up by then. Revlimid has a long half life and its effect on my counts can last quite a while after I stop taking it. The team is very worried about losing the graft again, but always in the past when I had GVH the donor cells were working. I just cannot reconcile all the symptoms I have with losing the graft. So I remain optimistic. Most of the time.

I've been a little teary worrying about not being able to go to Chicago, and about the transplant failing again. So the key is to stay rested and stay busy. There is lots to do here at Christmas time.

I made Rocky Road candy today and I felt pretty smug about not having to hide it from Mark. I used to make it, then try to fan the chocolate smell out of the house, then hide it somewhere because if he knew I made it, he would be busy looking for it. And half the pan would be gone in the morning! However, I underestimated how much Walt and Caroline could eat in mere minutes when I offered it to them during a shopping break! I will be making more tomorrow.

I stayed at Mom's for a couple of days and Walt stayed here with me for a couple of days. I ran a fever every day with the sinus infection and that just took the vinegar out of me so I needed a companion. Walt has fixed a lot of little things in the house and is here again working on a humidifier. Hopefully that will help prevent more sinus problems.

I still have lots of energy, except when the temp goes up, so I'm enjoying baking and cooking. Wrapping and nesting. What we do when it's cold outside.
~Cathi

4 comments:

gail said...

You definitely have a lot on your plate to deal with right now - all wrapped up in a Chicago trip. How exciting and reassuring that the team is making sure you go and working out all the logistics on the Chicago side too.

I would ask you to send some Rocky Road candy with Walt when he comes out to visit Denver, but sounds like it wouldn't make it past the next exit east on I-70 from your house. :)

Sending you all sorts of love and healing prayers.

love, gail

brianmargaret said...

Cathi.........we're interested to read about your 'ups and downs' and hope you will enjoy a really huge 'up' in Chicago. Trust you all have a wonderful Christmas together and we wish you a healthy and prosperous New Year.
We are looking forward to Janet joining us for the festivities.
With love and best wishes from Margaret & Brian XX

Unknown said...

You can always mail Rocky Road candy to England if you're looking to get shot of some!?!?

One year Joan mailed us a whole tin of homemade Christmas cookies, they lasted at least a week...!

Have a wonderful time in Chicago - enjoy Harrison and make sure the cabin crew take good care of you.

lots of love #2 GOT

Anonymous said...

I hope you are on the way to Chicago. And I hope you have a the time, the time of your life ,in CHICAGO!
HARRISON,S HOME TOWN. Christmas will be here at my house, am a little worried,the last time I got together with my 3 daughters we had a few drinks and then went out and toilet papered a house in the neighborhood.
I will try to behave ,but some people just bring out the worst in me. Love and Kisses
Nedra