Sunday, December 6, 2009

Don't wiggle the toes.

I have neuropathy in my feet. They tingle. Sometimes they tingle sharply and sometimes just barely. They only tingle from my toes to just past the ball of my foot most of the time.

The more I stand or walk, the more they tingle. Most of the time it's tolerable. Particularly if I am engrossed in something like the Barbie doll exhibit at the Toy & Miniature Museum.

But when I get in bed at night, the tops of my toes tingle. It feels a little bit like cold so I wiggle them inside my socks to warm them up. This is instinct or reflex, I don't know which: but it is NOT the right thing to do. Wiggling makes them tingle more. I lay a quilt over my feet whose heaviness forces the blankets down to the tops of my toes. And then I repeat a mantra, "don't wiggle." I forget sometimes and wiggle, then the voice in my head says "oh yeah, that doesn't work." doh!

I wish for the voices in my head to be more active than observant but that's probably another reflex thing.

Charlene is here from Oklahome City. I drove to the airport yesterday by myself. Remembered where it was and arrived a full hour early because I confused the times. Bought a Starbucks and read the paper. Her daughter, Hilary met us and we went to the Barbie exhibit and did some serious shopping. That would be lots of walking and browsing but not much buying. Today Charlene and I will drive to Baker University to hear Hilary's choral concert.

Robbie arrived today and Carla collected her. We will all meet up sometime tomorrow.

Tuesday is the booster. Walt goes in early to donate and I get the cells fresh. I don't have a time yet so I'm packing the scrabble game and a book and going along.

I am still in my house and still enjoying it. I have lots of energy and as long as the tingling is tolerable, I just keep on going. I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart this week and purchased a computer on behalf of a group organized by Sally. We are making a good Christmas for a young girl with chronic myeloid leukemia. I am tickled to be able to walk the aisles of NFM without tiring, and to be a part of making something good for someone else.

~Cathi

5 comments:

gail said...

Is that as successful as telling yourself to not think about elephants? Yikes - reading the command makes me want to wiggle. haha.

Glad you are having such fun with your girlfriends. Sounds deeeelightful!

love, g

Unknown said...

What a social whirl, so glad you're enjoying yourself. And able to use your computer skills to help someone on a similar journey.

How about a really tight tubigrip to control the wiggling?

lots of love #GOT

Debby said...

Sounds like you are well on your road to recovery, you just need a little boost to get over the last speed bump.

Has anyone recommended a foot cream for the neuropathy? americandiabeteswholesale.com has some under Diabetic Foot Care.

Best wishes for a lot more jingle than tingle over the holidays!

Debby & Steve Layne

Walt said...

Getting ready for another donation. Sunday was marred by alcohol restrictions. Seeing the home team get pummeled is a lot more fun with a six pack. But I made up for it with extra hot chocolate, again Dr's orders.
Dad is taking me in for the donations in the morning. It is not so bad without the pretreatment drugs. I am sure it will go well and I look forward to meeting up with you in your day room.
And remember if this all goes well, more GVH disease... And maybe a little more time in office. All compliments of your brother.

gail said...

Hope all went well today!!!