Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Look out Suzy Homemaker

I have done 3 loads of laundry today.  Start to finish.  I'm becoming a regular little homemaker.  I rarely get more than one load of laundry done in a day because I have to walk up and down the stairs so many times.  Of course I am still in my PJs, which I am entitled to do occasionally.  I'll be spending some time in that jetted bathtub later on this evening.

I have done some research on my symptoms and it can best be described as scar tissue in the joints.  It sneaks up on me; yesterday I realized I cannot straighten my arms.  So all day long today I've been grabbing the doorposts and stretching, pulling, working to get them straight.  They're not straight, but I've put in the work.

Stretching and yoga definitely relieves the pain.  I keep rubbing in the cortizone cream because they told me to.  Hopefully all this activity will deter any more freezing up in my joints.  This is chronic Graft v. Host Disease as opposed to acute GVHD.  I didn't even know there was a difference.  One turns up in the first three months and one after that.  Chronic GVHD usually disappears after 2-3 years.  So my mission is to stay active.

Saturday night I went to a cocktail party that was a "non-shower" for some friends of mine.  The bride didn't want to sit and open gifts in front of everyone, and I don't blame her.  We enjoyed a nice evening with wonderful hosts and plenty of opportunity to visit with the guests of honor.  Peggy and I went shopping to find some appropriate togs for me to wear and here I am.  I'm having some fun with my hair these days.  It is so curly that my sister asked me if I got a perm in it!  My SISTER!  ha ha ha.  She sees me every week--she just hasn't seen my hair with that much gel in it.

I took a road trip last weekend to Cowley County/Wichita and visited some aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  I'll be going to that neighborhood again the middle of April so I hope to see everyone I missed then.  This coming weekend I'm heading to Cinncinati with my cousin.  I'm going to be godmother to her daughter and I'm very excited about it.  I'm also excited about getting together a box of Easter things to send to Harrison.  His little sister is going to be here before I know it!

I'm planning a trip to Italy in October--have I mentioned that?  Janet will be meeting me and Robbie will be joining us along with Chris from UK.  It's a trip Janet and I pencilled in for Spring, 2009.  We've had to wait but we're planning now.  My young friend, Hilary, is in Florence right now so I am taking notes from her Facebook posts about things I want to see.  So my motto when it hurts to move is "On to Italia!"

~Cathi

No comments: