Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving commotion

Here I am, too long about posting again. I guess I just overlooked it in the commotion of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was fun, even though there were just 3 of us, Mom and Dad and me. I stayed at their house the night before and went to work cooking fairly in the morning. I made the stuffing. parsnip/carrot/leek gratin and a new recipe, brussels sprouts succotash. Mari and I also made a superb apple pie the day before which didn't have any takers at Mom's house as she had made 2 pumpkin pies that were delicious. Of course we had turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy. A nice satisfying meal. and I so enjoyed cooking.

Being neutropenic and all, I don't think that technically I'm supposed to cook like that but it was nice to not worry for a day. I can't eat out. I'm not supposed to eat food not cooked in my kitchen (but I fudge this one occasionally.) And I can't go to the store. Not for groceries, not for Christmas presents. I've been leaning on people to go pick up things for me. I find them in the ads or on line then send someone to buy them.

Meanwhile I've had Janice and Mari and Walt and Peggy staying with me. Looks like I will stay at Mom's most of this coming week. I still have days of being sore and wobbly, the occasional womit, and low blood sugar from time to time. This is why I need someone with me--Mostly the blood sugar. It goes with the prednizone. Likewise the Caspo goes with prednizone.

My counts have gone down, but today was better news. The white count was 1.3. It was down under 1, so this is good. Platelets and red blood cells were in the "don't transfuse" range, which is way below normal. So this is good. I think the Revlimid is working. Because of this and because my joints hurt. My clinic visits have bumped up to 3 per week for now. We'll see how this goes.
~Cathi

4 comments:

Walt said...

Wahoo, pole position for Walt. Sorry I missed Thanksgiving, but the left overs were wonderful. Keep making the lists and to dos and we will continue to find a warm body eager and willing to help. Great new on the WBC counts, looking to be past neutrophil by Christmas.

Unknown said...

Dang, Walt beat me to pole. Glad to hear all your Thanksgiving news. There's nothing nicer than pottering around in the kitchen for a day. Feeds the soul as well as the tummy.

We've got minus zero temperatures and inches of snow. Very unusual for November.

lots of love #2 GOT

BAMc said...

Checking in to see how you're doing...


...ping...

Nancy said...

I got to do some Thanksgiving cooking also, so I share your joy in how nice it is to finally spend a day in that kind of meditation. Hope the counts are still improving, and you are up to the full fresh meal at Christmas!

Nancy D. (My WV requires no creative definition... "bowel" LOL!)