Monday, November 1, 2010

Blood Sugar Seesaw

After several weeks of blood sugar readings consistently around 100 they have suddenly started bouncing all over. Highs, and lows. Neither one of which is real comfortable for me. I reckon this must be because I've started eating enough to matter. So I'm now recording just about everything. Everything I eat, everything I drink, every blood sugar reading, all with times and other info. Today they did cut back the prednizone another 10 mg so hopefully that will help, at least with the high bs readings.

Friday I have a bone marrow biopsy to see where we are on this continuum. Today my WBC and my Hg were both "up" and healthy, but I still needed platelets. The platelets are just not being produced by the bone marrow. A dropping platelet count was the first sign of relapse before the whole boob leukemia thing. I'll just have to see what the biopsy shows.

Meanwhile Mom is staying this week and my big goal is to get Ella's quilt assembled but the days get pretty crowded with clinic visits and social calls. The courier for blood products at the clinic changed and sometimes I have to wait 4 hours for platelets to be delivered, before they even pour them into me. It's very frustrating. The blood sugar swings affect my momentum.

Gail asked why the vomiting stopped and I'm not sure but here's what we threw at it ultimately. Prednizone (steroids) which would reduce inflammation, and control GVHD; Marinol....more commonly known in its native format of weed; klonipin, another anti-anxiety drug used to control nausea. Meanwhile I worked very hard to avoid hitting that gag reflex, like don't even bend over the sink to brush my teeth.

Tonight is actually the first time I've even felt close to womiting for about 2 weeks. And tonight I went to Tequila Harry's for taco night with M&D and two nephews, Eric and Carson. Carson and his twin brother Blake turned 18 Saturday (Trish's kids.) Blake had to work unexpectedly so missed our dinner. Anyway I ate half a taco; half a very big taco.

I have spent a few afternoons on my own and I confess to enjoying them very much. But the blood sugar seesaw is going to ensure I don't sleep alone for a while. The TPN (nourishment) is also a factor. It is a real production to get set up, hooked up and going. It seems to stop arbitrarily sometimes, different people get different results getting it going. It's just a nuisance.

However today the clinic told me to keep a food diary and if I'm consuming a consistent 800 calories a day they will look at reducing the TPN. And then doing away with it. That should also help with the blood sugar. So it's just going to be a while before I am anything more than a patient. Sigh.

~Cathi

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey Girl, Marinol, eh? yeah, bet that works... Whatever it takes! ;o)

Just back from a week in New Mexico at Rick's half finished hacienda. No cell service, electricity, IOW pretty isolated. Here I am taking time off work and spending money to completely check out for a while, something I know you'd prefer not to be doing right now. Life is such a balance.

So glad to hear the meals are expanding in variety and size. McDonalds would hate to hear you didn't like their fries, they spend a lot of money getting the vegetable oil just right to make them taste perfect... LOL!

It's a wonderful joy to see your posts expanding and filled with outings and musings. Love you!
Nancy D.

gail said...

Cortisone, prednizone, all the steroids are infamous at messing with blood sugar. It reeks havoc on those of us that are diabetic. I hope that cutting back on the drug dose helps!!

Keeping you in my thoughts with the biopsy and hope it comes back with good news!!!

love, g

wv: gulag. no definition required.