Friday, November 5, 2010

Pep talk at the clinic

I've had a completely unexpected day, starting with getting home from the clinic at 11 am! I didn't need platelets or anything else. They cancelled the biopsy and did a "peripheral blood chimerism" meaning they drew the blood from my arm and will determine how much is Walt and how much is me from that.

McGuirk stepped in after I was already on the procedure table for the biopsy and cancelled it. Then came by to see me and gave me a nice pep talk. He started with a lot of questions about how I feel and eating and all that. And he said "you're in this spot because of your spirit. You have a wonderful spirit." (This practically rendered me speechless.)

We talked about grandkids and my nephew Mason earning his Eagle and calling me and he said "these are the things that make me feel I am doing God's work. These are the important things in life--buying costumes for your grandkids and answering the phone call from your nephew. Thanks for trusting us to take care of you. He also asked when I was going to visit Chicago. That will be a while, but I know it's going to happen.

It was a humbling encounter. He is still amazed that the chloromas melted away. I don't think about it too much; I just keep on truckin' That's my approach and I'm sticking with it. Just proceed.

Mom got sick this week so she is at home recovering (minor gut issue) so I've scrambled around to fill in the blanks. Peggy stayed last night and we watched our recorded "Biggest Loser" from Tuesday. My out of town friends, Mark & Deb Paton are in town today and will stay tonight. Then they head to Manhattan for the showdown against Texas tomorrow night. Mark cooks a fabulous breakfast and nearly always cooks it when we are together, so he's cooking in the morning. And we are going out to eat tonight. Which is why I'm blogging instead of napping.

Let's see Sharlyne is coming in the morning and staying into next week. Lori and I worked on Ella's quilt and put together each of the blocks. I need to lay them out and then we will sew them together with all the borders and stuff. We are both seasoned quilters and the work went very smoothly with me cutting and directing and Lori stitching and ironing.

I've had some time alone so I've worked in my kitchen and tidied it the way I like it. Same with the bedroom. Having my house look moderately organized is soothing to me.

I guess the final news for today is that Dr. McGuirk reduced my appointments from 3 a week to 2 a week. So I don't go back til Tuesday. I think this means I'm going to be taking the full dose of TPN for an extra week or so but we'll see. I must get the food journal updated to doctor style speed reading and perhaps one of them will make the call on Tuesday.

I wish I weren't still taking some of these "help me not vomit" drugs because most of them are anti-anxiety and I can't drive. But I'm sure feeling better and better.
~Cathi

7 comments:

Sara said...

Great Scott, Cathi. This is like winning a lottery. Seeing this post, that fills us with such incredible hope once again, and running into Brant Tidwell at the RP Price Chopper last week, while he was in there, alone, with his list of a few items: this is truly the biggest answers to our prayers. Brant was standing in the canned veggie aisle, and came up to surprise me and asked me where to find Miracle Whip....I pointed to the Salad Dressings but mostly kept pointing AT HIM. I'm not sure which of you two is the biggest Miracle, but I'm so, so thankful that you both seem to be doing so VERY much better. Blessings.

gail said...

INCREDIBLE news, Cathi. Wow. Chicago - another adventure to add to your list. Woot!!

love, gail

ps - Tom wanted to know if you have been eating lots of potato chips & dip to help with the effects of the marinol. hehehehe.

brianmargaret said...

We're so pleased to read your wonderfully positive 'blog' Cathi. Keep up the recovery - your spirit is an inspiration.
Lots of love, Margaret & Brian XX

BAMc said...

Proceed!

Rhonda, DJ, Winston and David said...

Good to read the great news. More miracles! My head is spinning. Prayers this week will be to reduce the TPN at your next visit. Sounds like it has already become extra baggage! Your Gkids are adorable. Ella is gorgeous in every picture. Have a great Sunday and a good week. XO

Unknown said...

Cathi! You leave me speechless (that's saying something :) - and very very happy. Relish every day.

lots of love #2 GOT

Robbie Stanley said...

What - you didn't know after all this time that you have an incredible spirit? What else has kept you going?? That and the amazing doctors, of course. And your mom (hope she's feeling better by now). And the rest of your family, and maybe the rest of us, but still...
What wonderful news in your last post; enjoy, enjoy.
xox