Monday, May 11, 2009

More of the same

The better I feel, the more I chafe at this restricted lifestyle. I have lots of energy (relatively) feel good, and feel isolated. Which of course I am.

I learned at the clinic today that they won't be stopping the Ambizone any time soon. I'll be making daily clinic visits for much longer. Ambizone treatments until the pneumonia resolves either into scar tissue (and the docs deem it scar tissue) or leaves my lung completely clear. I love the people at the clinic, I really do.

Today the clinic was an absolute zoo. I was there for an hour before I got into a room and then it was way down the hall in the exam area of the BMT area. Altogether I was there for 6 hours getting Ambizone and platelets. I got platelets yesterday also. And I got blood yesterday. I got blood and platelets both on Friday.

So I think that even if I wasn't getting Ambizone, I would be visiting the clinic often. Or perhaps the reason for the hemoglobin and platelet counts bobbling around is the Ambizone and if I wasn't getting it I wouldn't need blood products so often.

As long as I am halfway cheerful when I get to the clinic, it's usually a pleasant experience. (If I am bumming, the nurses tend to bum with me.) The nurses are kind enough to laugh at my jokes. Some of them talk to me and we have become friends. According to their scale, I require a lot of attention. Several changes of stuff hanging from the IV pole. They don't count my frequent requests for ice water as attention. The doctors stop and talk to me in the hall as do the nurse practitioners. They are all excited about me being in Lisa's wedding May 23rd.

Today Dr. Aljitawi stopped in the hall and said "so you're coming by yourself to the clinic these days?" I told him yes, even though I got scolded one time, I told them he had given me permission to drive. He gave a thumbs up sign and said "this is a good thing. I like it." I like it too.

I had a lovely mothers day yesterday. A fast visit to the clinic (4 hours for Ambizone, blood and platelets!), a tasty dinner grilled by my sister, Janice, and a satisfying webcam visit with my grandson. Harrison is old enough now to attend to the screen when I talk and we play little baby games like peekaboo and pat-a-cake. Conor sent some new photos and I will try to figure out how to upload one this week.

Graduation announcements are arriving in my mailbox. My favorite children are growing up so suddenly. I am sending folks out for cards and gifts and wishing I could be at the celebration parties. But I feel good and for this I am grateful. I will just keep doing the next thing that's indicated. All signs point to an ultimately positive outcome, we just don't know when it will be.

Cathi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

whoohoo - pole position!

Do you have another fitting scheduled for your wedding outfit or are you all fixed? Not long to go now. You'll have a blast! And I hope Lisa has a wonderful magical day.

Glad to hear you sounding so bouncy. Surely that'll do just as much good as the Ambizone.

Still catching up with emails from the weekend, looking forward to reading yours!

Much love #2 GOT

gail said...

Cathi,

Your ability to bounce back is incredible. You, my dear, are amazing. :)

I'm still thinking I'm on island time after the weekend with the sisters, but am slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Plans for the wedding sound fabulous. Hope they like your pink hair (or did you decide on blue??)

Sending lots of love and hugs!

-gail

BAMc said...

Doh! (3rd position.)

Glad you had a happy Mother's day!

That is an interesting observation you make about being cheerful or bummed and how it affects the time at the clinic. I think we all do that to some extent. Maybe when you're bummed you can call on your logical brain to request an override of that feeling and then your clinic time will be a little better on those days. (Easier said than done, huh?)

Yikes! Graduations are here. My son graduated last week from college and (for all you Firesign Theatre fans of high school madness) my daughter graduates from high school this Sunday. Multiple milestones.

Cathi, you are doing an awesome job! Thanks for keeping us up to date and when needed request that cheerful state.