Wednesday, January 27, 2010

An unexpected privilege

At the moment I am in the airport waiting on my flight to Chicago. I'm looking forward to having a fine time with Harrison and Conor and Annie. I will be able to take care of HB, play with him, bathe him and even change his diaper which has been off limits til now. yuk yuk.

At the clinic yesterday I saw Julie who just about did back flips over my rising counts. My hemoglobin was 9.1 Nine would be a milestone. I probably won't recognize the number if it gets much higher. I used to be so happy when it was 9 or over before I got sick.

Julie gave me another drug that should help the tingling in my feet. When they only tingle and don't swell, they are not so painful. I hope that not swelling is because my counts are going up. Yesterday I was able to come home and do quite a bit of housework without my feet giving out on me.

I am still trying to make my house more cozy by restoring order, hanging pictures, sofa pillows and other little items. Currently I have some extra furniture in the front room that will be hauled to Lawrence to my nephew. Said nephew's house burned down the first day of finals in December. KU was extraordinarily helpful to him and his roommates and they were able to reassemble class notes and study materials to finish the semester. The Red Cross also helped the 3 boys. But he is looking for furniture and I have some to give him.

Julie scheduled a bone marrow biopsy for March 2nd. I had a long list of reasons why this was a good idea, but she said "If you're nervous about it, we can do it earlier than 90 days." So I'm happy about that. It would be tripping the light fantastic to have two good biopsies in a row, but I have no reason to think the next one will not be the same "no evidence of host cells."

I am working less than I was and seem to have found a good pace. I'm getting anxious to get out and talk to more people about what's going on in the world of IT. My upstairs office is very nice and I like the setup. I need to get real desks in there with keyboard trays so that my arms don't get used up.

Privileges. My platelets yesterday were 84. That's high enough to fly, to get my eye fixed, and to have sex. The latter was not on my list of things I really wanted to do...it takes two, right?

Now they're calling my flight and I'm off to Chi-town.
~Cathi

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Well, what are you waiting for? Add it to your list Girl!

Very Big Smile!!!!! ;o)


Nancy from DC, but in Saint Louis right now...

Walt said...

Missed the poll by 40 minutes. Must be great to just get up and go to Chicago, while us regular working folk are tied the machine.

The new counts have me already planning a camping trip in the mountains for Cathi. Perhaps no long hikes, but some great sight seeing and perhaps a down hill alpine slide.
Enjoy Chicago

Unknown said...

You could even combine the privileges by joining the Mile High Club :)

Hope you had a fantastic time in Chicago and that Harrison saved all his best party tricks for Grandma.

lots of love #2 GOT