Friday, January 15, 2010

Up!

I love the movie. And I love seeing the printouts at the lab.

Today everything was up. Platelets are 49. They must be 50 to fly.

I'm not booking my ticket yet because I think that next Tuesday when I see a doctor they are going to tell me I only have to come in once a week. Then I can book my stay in Chicago to last longer.

I tried my theory out on one of the nurses today that the Revlimid weakened the 5q- enough to let the donor cells roll over. She said "tell them. That's how treatment evolves. Maybe that's what they'll start doing for everyone with 5q-. Two weeks of Revlimid." Isn't THAT an interesting thought?!?!?! Revlimid is very very expensive and it comes in a 4 week prescription. So I have roughly $5,000 worth of pills sitting on my counter that I am thinking of buying a trophy base for. I am not stressed about that money (my share was 10% which is difficult enough to pony up when you're not sick.) The first $5,000 worth got the job done and that's what this process is about. Getting the job done.

I bought a new couch today to celebrate. I gave my old one to Mark when he graduated from college and I was using a loveseat as a couch. Now I have a short couch that is still longer than the love seat, with a chaise at one end. I'm laying on it as I type this message. It's lovely.

I have been working a little bit but I realized I have limits. One day this week I was standing in front of a server and my body suddenly sent a message "Ok, I'm finished for the day." Just like that. And it was finished. Finished working, driving, reading, eating, cooking....just done. I'll be pacing myself a little better from now on.

This weekend I am taking a solo roadtrip to visit Debbie who lives about an hour and a half away. Just testing my wings.

It is a wonderful freedom to be able to hug everyone. To be able to pack an overnight bag. To eat a salad whenever I want.
~Cathi

3 comments:

gail said...

It is truly the small things that have the biggest impact on the quality of our lives. It sounds like you're enjoying every single moment and every single leaf of lettuce! :)

Enjoy your road trip to visit Debbie and definitely enjoy that new sofa!!

You are an incredible person my dear cousin!

love, gail

BAMc said...

-
Such wonderful news, Cathi! Your determination and resolve are truly an inspiration.

Also a nod goes out to Walt’s contributions. As well to your family and expert medical team.

What an awesome journey you have made. Your record of this could help others in shaping their attitudes and decisions for their course of treatment.

Pace yourself.

Enjoy everything you do… and the phenomenon of normal.

Unknown said...

Today I had to stand on the first step of the stairs in order to be the right height to give a proper hug to a dear friend! Can't wait to do the same for you.

Enjoy all the every day freedoms. You've earned them.

lots of love #2 GOT