Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grandchildren are not over rated

I’m in Chicago staying with Conor & Annie and their two adorable babies. Harrison is charming and has slowed his pace to his old Gram’s (most of the time) and we’re having a fine time. I love to make him giggle and I love to see what he does next.

Today after a long walk in the car, he parked it and polished it. That’s what this photo is…HB polishing the Cozy Coupe. For the first part of our walk he pushed the car—a little faster than Gram wanted to walk in fact. Then at some point he opted to ride so stopped the car, opened the little door and got in. I love it.

My body hurt terribly today but kids are distracting. The long walk was soothing and I simply ordered supper in rather than cook. Harrison and I also spent some time in the back yard tidying the garage and playing in the sand table.

Now Ella. There’s nothing more grounding than cuddling a newborn. They are totally dependent. They don’t ask for much. And it’s the most important thing in the world when you’re doing it. I remember mothering newborns being a time of wonderful peace. No big decisions to make because the most important thing was that baby. Everything else can wait. Ella is a contented baby, quiet but wide-eyed when she’s awake. Annie is a wonderful Mom, and generous. She is obviously crazy about her children—my favorite kind of mom. We all love our children I think, but some of us are lucky to have parents who genuinely like us and enjoy being a parent. That would be Conor and Annie. Here’s Ella having a few minutes on her tummy this morning.

I’m happy to report that I made the drive up with Carla with no problems. I have to say the mini-van is much more comfortable for a long road trip than the car we took to Cincinnati (though the car was ever so fine, Jason.) We arrived at our hotel and then did an hour at IKEA before we crashed Saturday night. Sunday I spent 4 hours shopping at IKEA before loading up and driving into Chicago to Conor & Annie’s. Then we all hiked half a mile or so to Lincoln Square for supper. We put the kids in the stroller and set off. I love this kind of city living. It’s enviable to be able to walk like that. On the way home, the neighbors were outside with their kids so we stopped and had a chat, a nice long visit. I was pleased with my stamina that day.

It’s a different kind of activity here on a daily basis. Inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs. Sit down, stand up. I’m enjoying it and it works different parts of my body. I’m taking twice as much Cellcept after my clinic visit last week but so far I haven’t noticed a difference in how I feel nor the swelling. The swelling is just willy-nilly. Not so much after the long day on my feet Sunday, but little baseballs in my ankles tonight after I wasn't on my feet that much. I’m probably nuts, but I keep hoping that more walking will eventually make the swelling diminish. Same with the pain, it just comes and goes unpredictably. Thankfully it comes less often these days. And also being able to take Aleve is a nice respite. Wish I could take it twice a day!

Meanwhile, distraction is fine pain relief.
~Cathi

1 comment:

gail said...

You have BEAUTIFUL grandchildren & a fabulous attitude... who wouldn't with those 2 & their amazing parents?!!