Saturday, July 24, 2010

Not another boring Post

The day of the boring post ended with a trip the hospital for some platelets. The platelets were the easy part. It was when the nurse showed up with 4 bags of potassium that it was exciting. Each bag is only 50ml, but has to drip over an hour. So Cathi got fluids, platelets, potassium and fell right to sleep. While her donor host stayed up in the hospital. This was Thursday evening.

Friday after losing to much weight she was admitted to the hospital, in order to watch her closer. The below is Cathi's note going into the hospital.

Hello everyone,
After a somewhat chaotic week I have checked in to the "big house" room 4101.
I was having trouble eating and drinking without pain and I vomited blood a couple of times. So today they did an endoscopy and determined the problem is my esophagus is oozing blood--a side effect of the chemo.
So I'm in for the weekend and I'll have a diet of clear liquids along with a Nexium IV. Who knew they could do that? Already I have been able to swallow liquids without pain so I expect the gullet to heal quickly. The good news is there is no esophageal damage causing the bleeding.
I cancelled my trip to Italy today before all this happened. I was using a lot of energy fretting about it and I need this energy to work on my recovery. Janet and Robbie were magnanimous about it which helps.
I learn bits and pieces about my treatment plan every day. I guess it is going through revisions constantly as the doctors talk to other transplant centers. Today I heard that there is a plan for a second round of chemo 8 weeks after the first. It is frustrating to feel like I am not on top of things as I think I usually am. Perhaps getting Italy out of my head will make room for more treatment info. And hopefully seeing docs regularly will net more information too.

So I'm putting my money on the Revlimid and getting ready to paddle like crazy.

1 comment:

Walt said...

Chin up Cathi. The nurses are all glad to see you and even though the do not want to see you in the hospital they are glad to see you all the same.
Italy can wait. You will get there, before this is all done.
Walt