Friday, August 13, 2010

Being Perky

Cathi's cousin Gail here. No, I'm not perky and it's not a word I would use to describe Cathi most of the time. But, today she has perked up. She woke up this morning with a little tiny bounce in her step and that great big smile we know and love.

Last night we implemented the policy of "take a Tylenol if your fever is going up to see if it goes down" and, indeed it worked! It's a fabulous policy allowing a decent amount of sleep and no calls or visits to the med center.

This morning, after a breakfast of a huge bowl of pills that we have learned can be split and mashed into tiny bits - making them ever so slightly easier to get down - we dashed off to the clinic where Cathi finished up the last of the IV antibiotics and another round of potassium. The potassium takes . . . f o r e v e r . . . to drip through - it cannot be delivered quickly due to some medical reason that I am not grasping but know that if it could be delivered faster we would demand it. It was almost 4 pm by the time we got Cathi home.

The good news: WBC counts continue to rise. This is absolutely great since it shows that her bone marrow is working. The other counts that need to be higher are slowly rising as well. It doesn't always look like a lot from one day to the next, but when it's charted out it is obvious that Cathi is on an upward trend! It will be a slow climb, but it is most definitely climbing.

Cathi's not scheduled for any time in the clinic beds over the weekend. She has only a quick stop at the clinic on Saturday and Sunday for lab work to make sure that numbers are where they need to be. That means more time at home working on getting perkier. (Hopefully she will find that as amusing as I do. Seeing her laugh is such a treat.)

Love you so much my dear cousin!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Cathi...you do not know me. In fact, GAIL does not ACTUALLY know me, BUT I'm going to write on here anyway. I am really good at following directions...um...when I want to, that is!
So, here goes...
SOOOO very glad the WBC is looking good and here's to it CONTINUING to look good! And, yes, Tylenol is a VERY good thing for what ails ya, so keep that up, too. I am resisting the urge to tell you to drink plenty of liquids, but I don't guess it could hurt, huh? (Can ya tell I raised 3 kids, who, more often than not, did NOT listen to me...but, at least, now MOST of them know that they should have!)
Anyway, just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in here...for whatever it's worth. Hope you continue to improve...and rapidly...then Gail will get off your case! Now, isn't that a compelling reason to do what she says? lol I'm thinkin so!
Have a good night!
Dora (Suddenly Sense)

Anonymous said...

Great news. Thanks for updating, Gail. Hang in there you two. Two days of potentially no potassium drip is a big deal!

Believe it or not, I miss Cathi's welcoming, people friendly house. There's a good vibe there. See you two soon!

Sara

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi...so glad to hear that your counts are rising and that you are home...you are surrounded by people who love you and I'm not sure there's anything much better than that! Enjoy your weekend with Gail and know that we're sending you loving thoughts!

Linda said...

Another friend of Gail's and I know you are in good hands. All the best from a place they call AZ, though I know there are lots of other choice names for this state out there right now....feel better!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathi! I'm one of Gail's old Ark City Kansas buddies. Glad to hear you are doing better! Any pick-up in the Perk-O-Meter is a good thing...no matter how small! One thought: For Bruno (our 5 lb toy poodle) we crush his pill and mix it into a spoonful of yogurt. He licks it up and doesn't even notice! Now, I'm sure you're smarter than Bruno...but I'm just sayin'...

Don Miller

Dr. Frost said...

Great news! Pulling for you Cathi from North Carolina!

Nancy said...

Smashed, dashed, spiced, spiked.... Lots of options for those pills. So good to hear the step is lifted. Mable and I spent a very long morning at "The Ole Swimming Hole Fountain" on the Capitol grounds and we were thinking of you with every ball throw and splash. Looking forward to dangling our feet in the water again soon!

Love ya,
Nancy