Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Crosswords puzzles and Disappointments

Well. Three days of steady improvement. Two days of no fevers. Time to go home. and then what?? A fever. Dang, I hate it when that happens. So Cathi is not going home today but the heavy duty antibiotics are dripping and the fever has broken and it will happen soon.
In the meantime, things are looking up. The blood counts are beginning to recover from the chemo, right on time. Thanks to the healthy marrow, Cathi's white count is now 1. The white count recovers first, so this is a celebrated happening around here! The general malaise that accompanies chemotherapy is receding, energy is gradually returning, color is improving and the tumors are all but gone. All great stuff.
The primary indicator of improvement has got to be the crossword puzzles. Even with what she describes as "chemo-brain," Cathi completed the NY Times crossword puzzle yesterday and is more than half done today. Those who have worked these puzzles (KC readers, they are in the sports section, NOT the comic pages) can attest to completion as a sign of progress! FYI, the Rap singer's road crew is called a posse.
Cathi's posse is still sister Janice, to be replaced by cousin Gail later this week. Stay tuned for further developments!

3 comments:

gail said...

I'm loving the improvements. Getting you home is the next milestone for sure!!

I thought Cathi's son Mark was pulling my leg when he told me to look in the classified section of the KC Sunday paper for the NY Sunday puzzle. Sure enough, that's where it was.

Cathi is my go-to girl for Xword answers!!

Melinda said...

1. across: unbeatable, 5 letter word

Cathi

luv ya gurl - miss u
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Bad damn deal you had to do THE THING all over ,but you did and sounds like it,s working.I new you would make it work. I hope your keeping notes,cause I want to buy the book when you write the story.And what a story it has been.
I can not think of one person I know that could have done what you have done.Loving You ,Nedra Lou