Monday, September 6, 2010

Unit change

Yesterday I moved into Unit 41, the bone marrow unit at the hospital. I wanted to be over here with my favorite nurses who knew me and my disease. There's been no shortage of excitement, even though I still feel lousy.

A hot spot developed on the back of my arm behind the PICC site, so first I got a new PICC line. Today, unexpectedly, I had an ultrasound of the arm even though it's much better. The scheduling on a holiday weekend has to be done carefully--omitting the word "staff" from the order caused the sonogram to be scheduled for the next business day.

Never mind, we forged ahead. Janice has booked a massage for me for tomorrow morning. McGuirk approved it and Janice has made careful plans for sterilizing the table and getting it all in here. and THEN we learn that I am scheduled to have an endoscopy first thing in the morning. This took some more calls to ensure I am the first scope of the day. Calls from the nurses, signs in Endoscopy. Threats from Janice if I am not back in my room by 9:30. Janice is a force. Today she shamed two nurses from Radiology into taking me back to my room, in lieu of waiting longer for "transport." (I shall have to write about transport sometime. It is an underground organization here.)

Currently I feel lousy. We have no target dismiss date. I am unable to keep much food down. Today even eating or drinking causes nausea. There are all sorts of creative solutions being thrown around. At the moment I have a seasickness patch behind my ear and that has been the most helpful. There is no shortage of anti-nausea drugs, but they're not doing the job. McGuirk has decided perhaps this is a stomach virus which is the reason for the endoscopy tomorrow. He already changed medication based on that. I am still getting almost all medication via IV.

Dr. McGuirk's closing comments today (aside from a crack about the massage) were to the effect that he had to get me out of this mess since he got me into it. The grace to feel bad.
~Cathi

5 comments:

gail said...

I wish there were an emoticon available of the "I'm watching you" motion (from "Meet the Fockers"). Then I would use it on Dr. McGuirk. Please pass that along to him! :)

A seasick patch is indeed a new, unusual, & thankfully useful treatment to keep the nausea away.

It sounds like Janice has everything under control along the lines of Take No Prisoners. LOL.

I'm checking my calendar Cathi to see when I can head back to KC. Hopefully soon!

Love you much!

Unknown said...

LOL - love Gail's "I'm watching you" emoticon. If seasickness patch is working, perhaps they need to check out for an inner ear infection. That might cause nausea.

Anyhows, I hope the massage was a pleasure and made you feel a little better.

Janice is doing a formidable job, its going to be a hard act to follow.

See you soon, lots of love #2 GOT

Walt said...

So if you are using a seasickness patch how about some ginger candy to chew on. It was a hit at the 50yr family cruise.
Glad to see you back with the regular nurses.

Nancy said...

Whatever it takes girl... patch, ginger candy, checking for all the alternative causes. Sounds like Janice has got them running and on their toes!

Massage is such a treat, hope you got back in time for it and enjoy the session. Was it by chance a male therapist? ;o)

Love you!
Nancy

Glen Moulton said...

I appreciate the update, I admire your courage to forge ahead. So sorry about the nausea must be a difficult thing.

I pray for you and our Cowboy Fellowship has you on the prayer list. Keep up the good work.... mmmm massage is healing, way to go.

Your friend in Oregon