Monday, September 20, 2010

Courage to Travel

I arrived at home Saturday afternoon and immediately was buried in the commotion of home. Where does this go? Do you have any...? Can x come over? But the priority was home health care bringing me TPN, otherwise known as IV nutrition. It's a little more complicated than the other IV hookups we've had at home. And requires 16 hours to drip into my body. The backpack with the food, pump and power pack is large and heavy. We hook it up in the evening and it runs until mid-morning the next day.

I wish I could say that soon I won't need it but the barfing is just about as frequent and just as unpredictable as ever. This morning I felt good and ate a "real fruit frozen bar," but lost it on the way to the clinic. (We never travel without a barf bin.) No nausea, just upchuck. It's frustrating.

I get tired easily and only occasionally have a nice burst of energy to get something done. However, Mari called in her friend Cheryl, who has worked a miracle in my house. Cleaning and organizing til I hardly recognize the place. All the junk is out of the front room--even the Nordic Track brought in for cousin Gail. My friends, Mark and Deb Paton from Arkansas City came and cleaned up the weeds around the deck (remove the mulberry tree from the viburnum.)

The stack of pills is overwhelming, even parsed out in 4 batches. And it is sickening to see one of the $100 plus pills hit the bucket when I vomit. I have to say, vomiting is the worst side effect. The worst. I just get tired of it. I'm nervous about eating.

On the up side, the counts are continuing to recover. WBC was .9 yesterday with ANC .467. Perhaps I will be able to go to Chicago for the baptisms of Ella and HB this Sunday. I will have to get willing to haul all this stuff with me and either not eat or be willing to lose it.

Dr. Ganguly nearly drove me crazy in the hospital playing games with when shall I go home? He kept saying "You tell me when you want to go home and I will make it happen." I kept saying "I'm still puking everything I eat. Do you want me out of here?" "Oh no, no. You're in charge." he says. Nevertheless this conversation plays out day after day. Finally I said "Ok I'm ready to go home Friday." His reply was "oh no you're not. You told me you wanted to feel good and then go home. Do you feel good?" uhhhhh NO! What a jumble he made of my head.

Dr. Abhyankar has just stopped in and suggested an additional dose of Reglan. That is a drug that purports to keep food moving through the digestive system. I take it on a strict schedule each 24 hours. So one of those doses will be doubled. I don't have much hope for respite from the vomiting but maybe I'll be surprised.

My WBC is .9, and the ANC is .7xx something. Both good enough to go to Chicago if I am courageous enough to go.
~Cathi

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Big Hooray to Cheryl for tackling your front room! Lightening your load in more ways than one.

So glad you're home. And that your counts are going in the right direction. Let's hope the next step is no more barfing.

Be gentle on yourself and take it easy until you feel a little stronger.

lots of love #2 GOT

LOL - WV is Rampo. a typo for Rambo perhaps?

gail said...

Cathi,

WOOT! on getting home and even more so for Cheryl for tidying up. I can't wait to see the new & improved house.

Am sending lots of karma for you to get to Chicago this weekend - no matter what! I know you will do whatever it takes to be with your grand babies on this big day.

Love you so much!

-gail

Skip Peavey said...

Cathi, you are a lesson in patience. I admire you. I continue to pray for you. You are going to WIN !!!!! xoxo

Nancy said...

Cathi, so great to see you this weekend, in your home and so talkative and laughing, with your dose of sarcasm. Always the same great Cathi!

Back home and thinking of your little house touches. I'll be posting pics soon of the decorated place and looking for your advice. ;o)

Love you!
Nancy

Glen Moulton said...

Cathi,

Glad to read that you are going home... and it seems your home is getting the care it needs so you enjoy it fully.

Today I rode a young horse for the first time out on the desert, my riding partner and I went together... we discussed your battle.

Will keep praying.

brianmargaret said...

Cathi - pleased to read you're home again. There's no place like home!
Hope you manage the trip to Chicago...it's surprising how quickly these grandchildren grow.

All our love & best wishes.

Margaret & Brian XX