Monday, September 27, 2010

Womit, or not


Friday night was the Light-The-Night walk to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I and my family missed out entirely but Team Lucky Hikers did have some walkers. I'm posting the picture here. (Chris, Jordan, Sarah and John.) It makes me laugh and makes me cry. I was so disappointed when the nurses walked out of here Friday with their red shirts. But our team did great on the fund raising. Thanks to all who donated. And thanks to Sally for pulling my weight after I got sick right when things began to heat up for the race.

Sunday HB and Ella were baptized and all went well despite my absence. Conor posted a video which is amusing. Harrison was not at all sure about that water.
Life goes on whether I am upbeat or depressed.
I can report that my outlook has calmed even though I often have moments of glum. Sometimes I start thinking that perhaps I can get well. Those moments come, of course, when I feel good which happens more and more. As long as I don't eat.

More changes in the drug routine. As of today's change I'm back on clear liquids, which frankly, is more than I've eaten in a week or more. The doctors are not unified on this situation at all. Dr. Abhyankar is the hospital doc right now and he wobbles about the things Dr. Ganguly thinks are the right thing to do. As in all such situations, mom has made a list, asked her questions and come up with a plan. Everyone is good with this plan so we're off and hopeful.
A fellowship doctor came in one day last week wanting to do something or other procedure and he said to me "did you womit this morning Mssss Maynard?" I squinted and asked him to repeat himself which he did exactly. My sister was here and she started laughing. "Vomit, he said. He wants to know if you vomited!" I told him yes but I was NOT having his procedure and ran him off. But "womit" has become a new amusement around here. If you were commenting on the blog and you got that as a confirmation word, would you ever think "the way a turkish doctor pronounces vomit?"
~Cathi

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is definitely a new confirmation word! I would've never thought that to be the definition either :) Glad to hear there are more good moments. Hopefully that will help you to get a little strong with each good moment!

xxoo
Margaret

Unknown said...

So pleased to hear that the Queen of Calm has returned :-D Glad you've got a plan as well.

My WV is ourer - how a Turkish doctor might say aura? Love that your humour is still making the best of every situation.

Thinking of you and sending huge virtual hugs
lots of love #2 GOT

Walt said...

Does your doctor go Wabbit hunting? Maybe he needs an Elmer Fudd hat. It is good to laugh. Glad to see a new plan. Keep up the smiles.

BAMc said...

Cathi - Love your humor! Thoughts and prayers for you. You have such great family and friends. Keep shining!

Sara said...

Cathi, I know you aren't keeping foods down, but I'm running a cooler of comfort food over to your house just now. Wanted someone to know it's there, b/c I thought I picked up that you had a niece staying with you this week. Figure SOMEONE around that house could use some nourishment! I've been gone almost the full month of Sept, so I'm sorry to have been so out of touch! Sara Grier Pistorius

Unknown said...

Ahhh...reminds me of my time training at the KUMC Burn Center. Dr. Mani, head of the burn center at the time, and a GREAT burn surgeon used to use the same term. I'll never forget his admonition to "Never let the patient WOMIT". Unfortunately, that sometimes isn't possible. Hang in there, lots of folks are rooting for you. Rob Jones