Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chemo - Day 1

Hello from Cathi.

This message is pre-chemo. I'm up early drinking coffee and getting my head together. Walt is making blueberry pancakes for the sendoff. (I'm assuming he is going to rise from the couch and do this as promised.)

He will be going to the clinic today for a neupogen shot that blows his stem cells out into his bloodstream. He gets a shot every day until Wednesday. Wednesday he gets an IV line in each arm. The blood comes out of one arm, goes through a machine that harvests the stem cells, and what's left goes back into the other arm. Then the stem cells go right into me.

We had a meeting yesterday to tell us all the possible side effects and I left it feeling very lucky to have a sibling donor. Also very lucky to have such a team of doctors and nurses that I trust completely. They have all assured me I will not have red hair at the end, but I might get his allergies. My sisters are looking forward to having a big brother since I will soon have XY blood.

Conor will be arriving on the 23rd to be here for the transplant and staying a week. Walt will be around until Oct 5th. He is staying at my house where he can work conveniently, and look after the dogs! Mari will be here on the weekends and Janice is taking the month of October as leave from her job. I think I will surprise them all and roll right through with few reactions. But I am looking forward to some macho games of Scrabble with the A[tomic]-brain. (term of affection for Janice)

The biggest challenge right this minute is how to consume 100-110 grams of protein per day...no dairy products. I mixed protein powder in my orange juice yesterday and it was ugly but okay tasting. I'm not sure I want to add it to my pancakes or scrambled eggs however. I'm thinking of persuading Mom to fix an old-time Friday meal we enjoyed growing up Catholic. Waffles with tuna-gravy. yep. delicious. And tuna is just loaded with protein.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You hang in there...you are in my thoughts and prayers...Love ya
Erik

Skip Peavey said...

Blueberry pancakes .... reminds me when I was a kid. We are all thinking about you and have you in our prayers Cathi !
xoxo Skip

Mags said...

Pancakes with tuna gravy!? Wow. I might have to give that one a whirl! I myself had strawberry pancakes this morning...I'm sure it was no match to your blueberry pancakes Walt!

I hope things go well today and that you do skip right through some of the ill effects!

Love-
Craig and Margaret

Anonymous said...

HI Cathi - It's me, Mary Hatton, Rhonda's friend from Pasadena - and we are thinking of you so very much right now!!!! You sound so strong - what an incredible network of family and friends you have around you - thank God for your sisters and Walt. Hang in this week - we are sending you tons of prayers and good thoughts -

Love, Mary, John and Family

Anonymous said...

Ramping up the prayers for the week for both you and Walt. I can not wait to hear how great you feel after you get those stem cells!

Ok, as far as breakfasts go, I can not imagine consuming tuna gravy for any reason. I remember a breakfast that your mom made for me when I was out there and I believe your family called them crankshafts??? Velveta, onion, hamburger, eggs. Very yummy!