Thursday, September 25, 2008

Day 1: First Clinic Visit Post-Transplant

The first clinic visit post-transplant gave us a good feel for what the process will be going forward. If I had to summarize, it's evaluate and modify.

We arrived, and the first step was to draw blood for testing. Then a nurse and nurse practitioner came in to ask questions while we awaited results. They're essentially monitoring two things: blood counts and drug progress. Those are indicators of how the marrow is taking hold.

They talked about something interesting today that I don't think we've posted on the blog. It's actually preferred to have a little bit of 'Graph vs. Host'. That would mean Mom's body fighting with Walt's. I guess it's the same as some people's view of a healthy relationship - need a little bit of disagreement to be healthy. :) We'll update that as we get medical word. That probably won't be until closer to 12 - 15 days. But certainly something everyone can 'cheer for'.

So the results showed she was a little low on Magnesium. They hung 2 bags for a total of about an hour. Then we were done.

For now they did not show any drug modifications so dosages will continue as they have.

That's it. Evaluate and Modify. Good night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi
Wonderful to hear it was 'uneventful'. I'm so pleased this is now behind you. Keep up the good work and get 'sticking' as Margaret says!
Much love #2 GOT
PS: notice my Mum & Dad got to post before me. I'll never live that one down!

Robbie Stanley said...

Glad to hear that Day 1 PT went well. Who knew bickering was so important?! It's nice to read some encouraging news after hearing the morning's headlines! Good luck today; eat your veggies!
Love, Robbie

Anonymous said...

So good to get to read about your progress. I have missed being able to get updates. Hericane Ike is just a memory now. It taught me a lot about the have and have nots we take for granted in life. WE are thankful for all our blessings. So pleased to hear the transplant is going well!!!!!!!!!!
love
Diane

gail said...

Wahooooooooooo!

love, gail

ps - I'm late for work else I'd write more.