Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day after St Pat's

I am scheduled to leave the hospital today. Based on the results of the lung CT scan yesterday. The scan showed the pneumonia reduced by about half in my lung but still not gone (I'm not sure "gone" really happens.) The doctors are changing all the antibiotics to oral pills so I am not so tied to the IV pole. However, the anti-fungal medicine is still IV so I'll be going to the clinic every day to get those. The infectious disease doctor wants the drugs delivered daily for a month then repeat the CT scan.

It would be nice to actually have a month to recover. However, as my body proceeds through these ups and downs the original diseased bone marrow becomes more strange and perhaps stronger and leaves less time to recover and make decisions. The doctors expected to have the full results of the bone marrow biopsy sometime yesterday afternoon. I have not heard and probably will not til the end of this week or first of next week.

I feel much much better. I haven't vomited for several days nor run a fever. I can't seem to eat enough calories to satisfy the nutritionist but it feels like all I do is eat. Food isn't particularly appealing either, especially hospital food. I'm looking forward to getting home to some regular food. I am not neutropenic so I can eat more things, like salad, which will be nice. But I will still be drinking protein shakes to get the calorie and protein counts up. The goal is 1800 calories and 90 grams of protein.

Mentally I'm still not at the top of my game. I'm scared and I wish I didn't have to deal with this. I know the doctors are going to lay out some choices in the next week or so and I'm going to have to choose. The options and risks change each time I get sick and have a setback.

I'm trying to keep the horizon short... living in today. I will be redecorating my room with my "real life" pictures including new pics of the grandbaby. And I will be leaning on my friends and family for support. Looking for people who believe I can get well and convince me of it.

Cathi

5 comments:

gail said...

Cathi,

You are my hero - you have persevered through everything and you never lose site of the fact that there is more to go - while knowing you have accomplished SO MUCH.

Going "home" (home home or Jane & Virgil's) is a big step right now. I'm glad you are able to get back to the comforts of your room and family.

We love you so much!

-gail

brianmargaret said...

Hello Cathi,
We don't know where our daughter gets these jokes !!
Sending positive vibes of love and hope across the 'pond'. We think of you every day.
Trust you will enjoy this coming week with Janet.
Much love, Margaret & Brian XX

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathi,

Going home is such wonderful news, you'll feel better in that comfort and with family and friends. This has just been a minor set back in the big picture of things, and we're all looking forward to your world expanding as you get out of that hospital!

Love you!
Nancy in NY, on my way back to DC today (for a long weekend).

Anonymous said...

Cathi,
Hopefully you are reading this in the comforts of home and family. You can lean on me. I am here for you. YOu will get better! YOu have the power and the know how. Get out that Captain's Hat and know you are in command. I'll see you soon. It's only 2 weeks. I'm counting the days, it's been way to long.
love you
Diane


When does a duck get up?

At the quack of dawn of course.

gail said...

Cathi, a friend of mine asked me to post this to you:

Rolf Gunnar Asphaug on March 19
Cathi, I have never met you but am friends with your cousin Gail. I'm just writing to send good thoughts and prayers your way and to wish you strength! I believe you can get well - there are so many stories out there of people who have defied all odds. You are one of them!