Thursday, March 19, 2009

Recovering at home

Life out of the hospital is nice in spite of the long hours at the clinic. Last night I slept straight through til 6 this morning without waking up....or being woke up. The bed here is better and nobody cares what my blood pressure is at midnight.

I am still at Mom & Dad's house because turns out there is more to do at my house before I can live there. The bathroom remodel is finished but the vents needs to be cleaned again. Then the very old carpet in the basement needs to come out, and the vents cleaned after that. And of course the house has to be cleaned again after all this other commotion. But we have a plan so it will get finished.

Medically the plan is to ride out the next 30 days using the time to get ready for a transplant. I'll visit the clinic daily for the anti-fungal drugs. Sometime in the next week or so I will start a mild chemo-therapy to prevent the recurrence of leukemia, and then be ready for a transplant.

I feel pretty good. Much better than when I went in the hospital last week. I don't have a lot of energy but I expect that will come over the next few days. I'd like to wake up and think "today I want to get this and this done." Right now I just wake up and think "today I have to eat 1800 calories and 90 g. of protein."

Eating is easier when I'm not upchucking. Plenty of meat for protein, and at least one protein shake to get close to the 90. My first goal is to stop losing, then start gaining.

Feeling better has improved my confidence too. I believe I can recover from all these things...pneumonia, leukemia, or whatever other infection gets thrown my way. I can't do it alone; I need my friends and family and my faith. But eventually I'll be on the outside again, living a new life.

Cathi

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You believe, I believe, we all believe you can. One day at a time to a new life.

love #2 GOT

BAMc said...

Cathi - you are taking all the right steps and you have the faith! Everyone in your circles have the faith. There is light all around you and light within you.

Spring is here. Enjoy the renewal!

gail said...

Go Cathi Go!!!!

You have no idea all the people in Denver who are rooting for you. Some of them have left messages here for you, some have posted on my FaceBook page. I keep them all updated by copying & pasting your messages to FaceBook.

I'm so glad to hear there is a plan again. EAT MORE! :)

love you so much!

-gail

Nancy Diebel said...

Cath - Sorry I haven't been in contact, but you are in my prayers each and every day! Your strength will get you through! Love, Nancy "Rink" Diebel

Mike said...

Cathi

Call if you want/need to chat for a while, I have the time and look forward to hearing from you.

Mike I

Anonymous said...

Now that's what we all wanted to hear you say - "I believe. . ."!!! Welcome back Captain Cathi! YOU are now in charge again, there is a plan, you can now set goals and we have our marching orders. Now let's all work the plan and get out of this tunnel!