Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Back at the hospital Cathi is in a new room. Room 4101, albeit a tiny room it is a relief after the long days at the clinic that were starting very early and ending late. It's also a wee bit less frustrating as most folks at the clinic are getting well. Noticeably better.

No results from the marrow biopsy performed on Thursday. (Cathi) 'Personally I think this means they didn't find what they here hoping for or expecting.' So more consults with more docs. Maybe we will know on tuesday.

They did performa a bronchoscopy, however, which revealed a staph infection in the upper left lobe. Now yet another change of antibiotics. Which hopefully will be followed by dramatic upturns in Cathi's well being.

Then they performed a thoracentesis (drain placed in the chest cavity) to draw fluid out of Cathi's pulmonary cavity which was collapsing the lung slightly. The pain was immediately better after the procedure, and appears to be improving still.

From Cathi
My head is improving. Distracting movies and comforting friends and family. I need to be reminded who I am and what I'm capable of doing. E.g. Setting a goal and reaching for it. That I have banked years of good wishes for everyone and I need to withdraw for myself now.

Mostly I am tired. I don't have the same energy I had last summer. And I am mad. Mad about spending 9 months in a bedroom. Mad about having the pneumonia complication. Mad about the failed transplant and the gall bladder. I'm ready to walk out in the world in street clothes and see my friends and family.

I do have some WBCs though: 1.5. And some neutrophils backing them up. So more things to try to hit this ever moving target.
C.Maynard. fumbling from the Blackberry

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cathi, it's okay to mad as hell. You're a fighter and you will beat this. Put on your Captins hat and charge ahead. Everyone is on your team. The WBC are fighting for you too.
Love you
Diane

Anonymous said...

OK, it's time to talk. You're mad and that is GREAT. So get even madder, then make that anger work for you! That's how you're going to regain that fighting spirit we saw in you all last summer and fall. Anger will also produce energy and determination to get where you want to go. You CAN wear street clothes and go outside with your friends and family, but only if YOU believe you can. We are all here to support you, but only YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! That light is still at the end of this awful tunnel, so forget where you've been and concentrate all your energy on where you're going. When you emerge from this tunnel, we will all be there to celebrate YOUR victory! I'll be there with bells on!

Anonymous said...

We are all mad this has happened to you. With all this positive maddness we will make all our anger work for you. I'll be there at the light at the end of the tunnel too. Bells in hand.
Love
Diane

gail said...

Sending lots of love and mega-hugs.

You are in my thoughts & in everyone's prayers. Your anger is a good sign that you have lots of reserve strength & fight still in you! I'm glad to see you tapping into it!!!

love, gail

Anonymous said...

Mad as hell, yeah. That's a good thing!!!! Keep the fighting spirit. I've got some going here for you!


What do Pirates like better than "Arrrr"?
Happy Arrrr....

;o) Love you and thinking of you! Nancy in NY

Anonymous said...

Hey What's the Easter Bunny's favorite music?




Hip-Hop of course.

IT's monday. Here we go again. But that means I'm closer to coming to Kansas.

Robbie Stanley said...

Not much I can add to these excellent messages except to say that I'll be part of the gang who will be meeting you when you walk out the door. Also, I loved the jokes.
xox
Robbie

susank said...

Hi Cathi,
I think of you much more often than I write, and I want a 100% Cathi back, too. You are the one who knocks down obstacles left and right. You are the no-nonsense-just-do-it Cathi. You've got what it takes. Dozens of us are pouring out our energy, prayers, fighting for health thoughts, good will and good wishes. We have not had time to give back all you have given to us. Hang on and keep fighting minute by minute, day by day. Banish that nasty staph infection! Love, Susan

Unknown said...

Wow, what wonderful messages of love and support. All I can add is a joke:-

How do you catch the Easter Bunny?
Hide in a bush and make a noise like a carrot!

Love Ya! #2 GOT