Tuesday, March 24, 2009

One day stay

First things first. My friend, Janet, is here from England for the week and has been loyally ferrying me to the clinic daily and hanging about for the long hours I am there. Though she has found a good massage therapist at Woodside and has snuck over there a time or two. We are having a good time catching up and just spending time together. She has whomped me at all the games we've played and claims it is because she plays Mah Jongg. So something else for me to learn.

We are staying at Mom's house because the latest work on my house (pulling up the basement carpet) revealed a lot of mold and mildew in the basement, result of an apparent leak. So theories and fixes are being tossed about for that problem. Meanwhile the house is spotless and ready...sigh.

Walt is coming to town today. He has finally bought a house in Overland Park and now will be spending more time in KC. The family won't move until April when ski season in New Hampshire is over.

Last week my niece, Margaret, was here and worked like the dickens on my house, besides keeping me company. She bought me a lot of green stuff to wear on St Patrick's Day, which kept the hospital staff amused. They might have laughed even more if they had seen the knickers covered with clover!

I am in the hospital this morning, thankfully just overnight. Dr. Aljitawi sent me here yesterday from the clinic for what looked like a pneumothorax (pocket of air under a lung.) I've been on 100% oxygen since I arrived but I slept good. Dr. Ganguly just came in and reported that there is no pneumothorax and I can go home after the treatment I need today. I still have a little bit of pain which gave rise to all this, but presumably it will go away soon.

The CT Scan also showed slight improvement in the pneumonia. Pneumonia is just so slow to heal. I should be specific, FUNGAL Pneumonia is slow to heal.

I have been feeling good and that helps my spirits tremendously. They stopped one of the anti-fungal drugs because my liver is inflamed and life without it is better. No nausea, less fatigue. I've eaten enough to gain a couple of pounds!

I appreciate the comments on my blog. I reread them constantly. They are important to me. I guess they remind me of my life and the people who love me, all the people praying and cheering for me. So keep adding comments! and silly jokes too.

Cathi

7 comments:

gail said...

Wow - I'm in pole position!

Cathi,

It is wonderful to hear the news that you were in just overnight. And that the air pocket was resolved / gone / misdiagnosed / whatever.

Sara had mentioned that she helped pull the carpet over the weekend. I could not imagine what that job must have been like considering that your office is in the basement along with the requisite computer equipment. WOW.

With a few more hours of cleaning, it sounds like you may be able to be back in your own house. Fabulous!!!!!

Sending bunches of love & hugs.

-gail

Skip Peavey said...

Cathi, I feel in my heart that you will beat this! I just know it. You are such a strong lady and one that is stubborn .... in a good way. Be stubborn about winning!

You are an awesome person, I have been the beneficiary of having known you over the years and learned from you. Thank You!

Now, I want to know when I can see you again. I am back in town until the end of April and heathly for now.

Prayers and Love continue to you dear friend!

xoxo Skip

Anonymous said...

Cathi, you don't know me but I am friends with your friend Gail. She is a great friend to us both! I've known Gail through a lot of her ups and downs (by far ups - because she has a way of turning downs into ups). Gail is a reminder to me of how we can keep growing, and learning, and striving through life. And of how every minute, hour, day and week is a blessing.

It sounds as if you have been through the wringer! I am saying a prayer for you - and I'm not much into saying prayers, so you're inspiring me!

You said you'd like to hear some jokes, so here's one that my five-year-old told me the other night: "Knock knock." "Who's there?" "Boo." "Boo who?" "Well, you don't have to CRY about it!" I have heard that one, oh, maybe three dozen times in the last 48 hours - and each time we share a belly laugh. I hope he keeps telling it for a lot longer...

Blessings to you! - Rolf Asphaug

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathi,

Pat was asking about you and we are reading your blog. I know this has been a long ordeal and I have been diligently practicing my Legend of Zelda video game so we can play when you get ready. We think and talk of you often. Our prayers are with you.

Love ya!
Dick & Pat Kaufman

Unknown said...

Thought i'd check in, even though i'm sitting 3 feet away from you!

I'm pleased to report to all my fellow bloggers that Cathi's looking GOOD! She's one feisty lady who's determined to win.

Cathi tells me it means a great deal to her to know we're all thinking of her.

That's all for now.
love #2 GOT

Robbie Stanley said...

Thanks for the news - it must be so good to have Janet there, and Margaret before her. The house is so close - when it's done you'll be certain it's really done. Meanwhile, have you seen the youtube video of the baby panda sneeze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNYfZd8iV2k)? It's only 16 second long - I've seen it a dozen times and still laugh. Hang in there - Robbie

Anonymous said...

Cathi-

We are back from Utah and by next week I will be off the antibiotics long enough to take you to the clinic if you need a ride. You sound great in the blog and I am so glad you are able to eat again. We have a May 29th, 2010 date for Patrick's wedding which is wonderful but really far away. Put it on your calendar!

Love, Sally