Monday, April 13, 2009

My DeVore cousins

Monday morning. When I don't feel great, it's like any monday morning when I was working. Ugh and blah.

But I logged in today to talk about my DeVore cousins who have contributed much blood and sweat to getting my house rid of all dangers. Dennis, Sara's husband, helped demolish the bathroom, as did Walt's buddy Jeff. Sara and my niece, Margaret, ripped up the carpet from the basement. And hauled it out to the street to be picked up. Then Sara came back and helped Margaret with the cleaning in the basement. Last week Jason, Carol's son, helped Walt rip out the remainder of the paneling and wood from the basement walls and sweep away the dry mold. These are the jobs nobody wants to do and the DeVores pitched in and did them. THANK YOU! (I hope Dennis's back is okay now.)

They all send encouraging emails and many comments on the blog. They have visited and they just remind me who I am. Even though I am isolated, they act pretty normal about it. I get links to bluegrass downloads from the Winfield festival that we attend every year. And I just really appreciate that I'm still included.

Meanwhile life goes on. Daily clinic visits which are in the afternoons now. I actually drove myself to the clinic on Saturday but then had to have Benedryl to get a platelets transfusion so called for a driver to get me home. Mom and Dad are really good about it. I get dropped off at the clinic about half the time now, and I like that. Gives me a little time to catch up, and nap if I want.

Peggy took me to the clinic yesterday and we talked a little bit about what I should be doing with this waiting time. Sometimes I think I should be creating something momentous and meaningful that will outlive me. Other times (and this is what I prefer) I think I just need to keep my business going and my real life intact so I can step back in when I'm well. Peggy reminded me that the same questions apply to everyone. None of us really know how much time we have; and we have to choose every day the best thing we should be doing.

So outside of wishing for more energy, which I didn't even have before I got AML, I'm fine. My white cell count bobbles around but isn't so low that I'm scared. I like that it goes up sometimes as much as it goes down. I'm getting a lot of transfusions of blood and platelets which is normal for my situation.

Cathi

6 comments:

Rhonda, DJ, Winston and David said...

Dear Cathi, I love hearing of the volunteer efforts on your behalf. There have been hundreds of selfless hours given to the cleaning, repair, upkeep and getting ready of your home in the form of sweat and tears and hard manual labor...it is a reality TV story waiting to be told. My thanks to the latest crew!!!!! XO, Rhonda

Mike said...

Cathi

Any time that you need/want a ride to the clinic, you know you can call me.

Mike I

Anonymous said...

Give me about 9 hours notice and I'll be right there to give you a ride... okay - maybe not - but you know I'm just a phone call and an email away from telling you another ridiculous story of life in Denver.

Ya' know, that good old Kansas Farm Ethic thing has a way of following us around. Too much to do and not enough daylight to do it in - that's for sure. And whether or not your last name is Snell - you still have a whole bunch of DeVore in you! Your work will get done and you have accomplished so much while you've been out of your regular loop. But, I do understand - there is always more to be done!

Peggy is right - no matter who you are your status can change without notice.

Hang in there my dear - you're doing GREAT. Read any good books lately? what's on the book group's list?

love, Gail, just one more in a long list of those DeVore girls

Rolf Asphaug said...

I know for a fact that Gail has LOTS of ridiculous stories of life in Denver! She's part of what makes Denver such a great place. Only Gail could conceive of a group like "Rocky Mountain Jewgrass" and make it a success!

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way! Rolf Asphaug, Centennial, Colorado

Mags said...

Great tribute to the DeVores! I loved reading about it. If you want to know what REAL bluegrass is like (I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is myself), make sure you put into your agenda another trip to the bluegrass area!

It sounds like you are doing everything right, as usual, and getting lots of great support. Peggy's always got a great take on life!

Miss you lots!
Love-
Margaret

Unknown said...

Hello Dear
Think i might try Gail's suggestion of preparation H on my paper piles - can't make them any worse. Stickier maybe :-)

Your idea to change the clinic time is a good one. A shift in your routine. There is light at the end of the tunnel, keep counting down the days. And Peggy is spot on - as always - with her advice. What you're doing every day is momentous enough in itself. Don't beat yourself up because you haven't written the latest blockbuster yet. This is healing time, not waiting time.

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Steve and I went to the Lake District in northern England for a Easter break. Absolutely beautiful but both internet and phone links were dire. Steve had visible withdrawal symptoms :-)

Much love #2 GOT