Monday, March 8, 2010

If it isn't one thing, it's another

So. I got over the sore throat. Then was attacked by a severe headache. Which was accompanied by an itinerant fever that never reached the 100.5 threshold, but never went under 99.7 either. I swear I did not do too much after the sore throat went away, though it was very tempting to just tear through the house and get everything done that had not happened since Monday.

I went to the clinic twice last week. They did the bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday and I saw Dr. McGuirk. The biopsy results are coming back "with reservation" or without certification or something that means the sample was not good enough to make any calls until the complete chromosome analysis is back which should be this week. I had the headache Tuesday but it was coming and going and there really wasn't much to do for it. McGuirk told me I could go camping just not get my hands in the dirt. I think he hasn't been camping much. (giggle)

I went back to the clinic Thursday and once again all the tests for evil things regarding the headache and fever came back negative. Friday I visited a chiropractor. Presto! headache immediately lifted. Why didn't I think of that earlier? What a huge relief.

More exercise Ms. Maynard. I know I am not doing enough. I guess I don't know where to start though walking would be easy and productive. Someone at the clinic suggested water aerobics and that sounds like fun. However, I don't have a swim suit that fits and trying on swim suits does not sound like fun. Meanwhile, drink lots of water and get in a few yoga stretches with the Wii.

The nice weather this past weekend just about drove me crazy. I SO want to go outside and dig in the dirt. I know that to get new ideas, I need to be out there digging and preparing soil and clearing out and spreading new mulch. It's not the same when someone else is doing it for me, but it is ever so appreciated.

I have managed to catch up the laundry for the first time since I've been home. Finally, going up and down those flights of stairs is not so overwhelming and physically demanding. Finally the clothes which were laying about in piles have all been laundered and returned to a closet. And gratifyingly, the pile of giveaway items grows. It might be that I have been dilatory about culling my wardrobe for a few years, but this is the perfect opportunity to get serious about it.

Other small victories include opening the Gatorade bottle without the jar wrench and being able to drain the 3 qt saucepan with one hand. I take my evening pills with Gatorade and I stopped doing that a while back when I ran out. I took them with juice or water or tea or whatever, but that is when my potassium dropped so I'm back on the Gatorade (and the potassium is back to normal.) I have a jar opener that looks like an oil filter wrench except the loop is rubber. It's very effective on any size lid but it's nice to have something measurable to point to and say I'm gaining strength.

It is Monday and it is a work day and I must do some work. I am tickled to be feeling good once again. And I aim to stay that way. Lots of water and exercise.
~Cathi

3 comments:

gail said...

Huge sigh of relief!!

Is it time already to start digging in the yard? I don't know when people should start digging. At some point I realize I'm weeks late and try to hurry to catch up. My tomatoes are always not quite finished before the first freeze.

Your measurement of getting stronger is fabulous & practical as always. It is wonderful to have you getting back to normal!

love, gail

Anonymous said...

The weather was fabulous and I'm can't imagine how hard it was for you to not go and dig in! As for the Gatorade bottles...that is a HUGE accomplishment. They make their bottles incredibly hard to open!! So hard that I often have to get a bottle opener myself to get it open. Kudos!!!

Love-
Margaret

Anonymous said...

I have a digging in the yard story for you ,Its the story about 140 pound dog named Harvey,better known as "HARVEY DAMNIT". He had so many holes on the east side of my yard ,
that I had to put down chicken fence and lay sod on top of that to keep the yard from washing into the street.Now he is digging in the front yard I cant go out ther at night for fear of falling in one of the holes and breaking my neck.Some days I feel like Bill Murry in the movie Caddy Shack, with Harvey as the gopher.I wish he would dig in the backyard ,then I could just put in a pool.
Loving You
Nedra Lou