Saturday, October 23, 2010

Another focus shift

I am still at home. I feel surprisingly good. I have only womited twice this week. My blood sugar is pretty stable so incidents of lightheadedness are infrequent. The clinic actually suggested staying by myself in the afternoons.

A few weeks ago I did not expect this. I did not expect to be shopping for November birthdays or Christmas presents. My white count and my red count are holding up pretty good; no neupogen or blood transfusions for a couple of weeks. Just the platelets need supplementing.

I ask the providers what's going on, what's likely to happen and the universal answer is "we don't know." So I could continue improving and enjoying life for months, a very indefinite number.

I have to change my thinking. Shorten the horizon. Do what's possible today. And be very very grateful for the opportunity and for my caregivers who make it possible. I have approached this illness from the start with a lot of energy, with specific recovery goals. Now then I am coasting. My family and friends who are such diligent, loving caregivers are putting in the energy. The folks at the clinic and the hospital are no longer surprised by the number of people involved but they are amazed. Few patients are so lucky. I think this is the reason I'm still here and feeling good.

So feeling good means that yesterday Mari and I went to a quilt shop and bought fabric for Ella's quilt. Today we are driving down to Ft Scott for my niece's wedding. We cut an article from the paper about driving routes with good fall color. Obviously I hope to sew the quilt. So short term plans but not staying home.

The visit with the kids was awesome. I could not lift HB or Ella but once someone put them in my arms we were good. Harrison went across the street to play with Jake and Clare each evening which tickled them all. Conor and Annie took very good care of me and the house without complaining. It really added a lot to their workload but they just got after it. Annie's Mom, Cheryl, drove up from Liberal with baby things so we were well equipped.

Between Walt and Margaret/Craig, little things around the house are getting done. Mari makes the house shine every day. Last night she tried a new recipe which was fun and tasty. Margaret is now expecting a baby in May...we're all very excited.

Meanwhile I am at home. I visit the clinic every other day. I'm semi busy and semi content.
~Cathi

7 comments:

gail said...

This is great news to hear from you! Leaving the house - going to a wedding! Picking out fabric for Ella's quilt!

Bigger plans that you expected to be able to make and it is just thrilling.

Miss seeing your smiling face in person, but have been working on the video. Was Robbie able to take any more video? Maybe you can take some pics when you're out and about... that would be nice to add in.

Sending you lots of love as always.

-gail

Judy said...

Cathi - Still keeping up with your blog and would love to have an email conversation with you, but don't have access to my address book right now.

You are still amazing.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. THe quilt sounds like fun. How was the wedding?
Think of you every day.
Love
Diane

Unknown said...

Captain Cathi strikes back LOL. You are truly one-of-a-kind, which is why we love you!

Enjoy coasting through every day, you've worked very hard and deserve it.

lots of love #2 GOT

Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo -
I've been caught up in chaos, but had time today to read and catch up on your blog. Know that I pray for you everyday. I know nothing about quilting, but every quilter I know gets that "buzz" when they start talking about them. I think y'all are addicts. (you can tell by the "secret" piles of fabric you have stashed away in your home) -- you've got one, admit it.....
Melinda

Glen Moulton said...

That is great news, I find it interesting how we are all really in the same boat, we should ALL do all we can for today and the short term plan, how much more we would do everyday.

I love to quilt, I'm currently in the process of making our little yorkshire terrier some coats, she only weighs 4 pounds and our snow arrived already, she is easily chilled being so small. But she is a farm dog so needs sturdy washable and non fuzzy material,terriers are all the same.... into and onto everything.

So so glad to hear you are comfortable and coasting nicely, I appreciate being in your loop, thanks to Gail.

Blessings to you on this day, keep us updated on the quilt.

You can see our snow pictures on my blog.

http://saddlessagebrush.blogspot.com/2010/10/wordless-wednesday.html

Sara said...

Cathi,
Here is my dream-come-true for you. I was at the Price Chopper in RP on Monday afternoon, staring at some veggie cans and comparing ingreds. Someone stands 5" away and says "hi Sara". I look up to see Brant Tidwell looking EVER so much better than in Aug when we saw him at the Royals Honor Ceremony. I know I kept staring at him like I was seeing a ghost. We hugged 2x, just b/c I was so excited that he had a list, and was walking around a grocery store. He must have had a driver, but some dear soul just let him 'explore' like he used to do. It was truly a celebration like I've not been used to in my lifetime.

C'mon Cathi. I'll get you to your local store and let you 'get lost' looking for Miracle Whip anyday!!
Hugs to you and your incredible family.

Sara and Tom