Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cuddle with Harrison & dates from Walt


What better way to get one's body and mind ready for a bone marrow transplant, than a cuddle with a new grandbaby? Conor and Annie are here with Harrison, and he is a keeper. Annie is a wise mother, and generous. Conor is an able and willing father. And Harrison is like his father, happy to go arms to arms and sleep when it's time. I spent almost all day yesterday holding him.... either jostling him a little longer before he ate, or snuggling while he slept.

This photo is from the blackberry...I haven't transferred the ones from the camera yet.

They give him Zantax and Maalox for acid reflux. Who knew? I think it's perfectly logical and I wish we had this information when Mark was a baby. Mark might have a different personality if he had not suffered so much when he was an infant. sigh.

On the other hand, how great that medicine and knowledge progresses, and that I am on the leading edge of bone marrow transplants.

Walt sent an email yesterday telling me he has a date for the transplant. It's interesting how this system works.... nobody told me the date! He expects to donate more stem cells on January 26th. I am excited. This brings the date closer...and the getting out healthy date closer. I will be able to serve as bridesmaid in Lisa's wedding on May 23rd.

Walt had a great explanation for this whole second procedure which makes me laugh and tells us how old his kids are. Here is Walt's explanation, edited for clarity.

"I am donating marrow again, and am scheduled to donate again on the same day Cathi is to receive. Like everything on this deal it is always a moving target. Cathi took 300ml before and will likely need that much or more this time. There is only 130ml of my WBC's that are frozen right now. Besides it is always good to have a some fresh ones... So I think this is real.

The story of not needing marrow and needing marrow is like any other. One's opinion one day changes the next day after the docs have had a chance to talk with each other. Stories are not always the same based on the day and interpretations. The official story is that I am donating again.

And who said my marrow did not work the first time? Walt's marrow worked great, infused into the bone tissue, repopulated and produced value added blood materials to sustain Cathi. It is the enemy and disease that did not work properly. They were to cower and disappear in my presence and while it worked for a while, the first procedure did not have absolute odds of success. It was considered experimental, but has shown success in the past with other patients. It was not the preferred method. The preferred method would have imminent results. My marrow is a perfect match and less antigens than other matches due to not having been pregnant. I have the Mary Poppins Marrow - "Practically perfect in every way."

Now they are doing it again, but the normal method. Kill all the bad marrow then drop in the good marrow. Cathi is now healthy and ready for this. After twice kicking her little bro out in 90 days, (a reference to when he lived with me) she has come to terms with the fact that she needs to be nicer to me, and more accepting of having me around.... It is highly likely that additional marrow transfusions will occur in the future. Additional marrow will again be harvested and frozen for future use. There is also another kind of cell which they may want to come and get from me. It does not require all the preparations that taking the stem cells requires."

So, we will have the next transplant, with all preferred preparation, using Mary Poppins bone marrow. I shall have to watch that movie and revisit the song lyrics to see what else I can glean from it that would make a good mantra.

2 comments:

Mags said...

Pole post on this wonderful Sunday morning! We loved the picture! He looks perfectly content and is conformed in your arms. Very adorable! Cuddling with babies is always a sure-fire way to get you ready for anything! We hope that you get to cuddle again soon!

Walt's message was great and sounded dead on! Walt is also the only person I know who can pull off Mary Poppins and Star Wars in the same scenario!

We hope everything goes really well tomorrow. We'll be thinking happy thoughts and sending them your way!

Love-
Margaret and Craig

Unknown said...

As Margaret says, perfectly adorable. And Grandma's looking pretty good too!

Glad to hear the gall bladder operation went smoothly. Rest up and get prepared for the 26th. And Walt, you're a star.

love #2 GOT