Saturday, January 24, 2009

Home Again, home again

It's nice to be home again. I was surprised at how weird it felt to get out of the car and walk into the house, up the stairs to my room. The last time I left the hospital, I had to be physically carried into the house and stairs were not even an option. I'm happy to reprogram that physical memory, and curious about observing it. When I first arrived in the hospital I had to remind myself when I wanted something that I could get out of bed and get it. I didn't need to wait for someone to do it for me.

Cousin Sara fetched me home from the hospital, and her sister Gail is in town from Denver this weekend. Walt is still lurking. Mom and Dad went to the lake last night, but returned in a hurry this morning when nobody answered the phone. It must have appeared to be a choreographed sidestep. I didn't have my hearing aid in. They didn't call my cell phone. Walt was in the shower when they called his cell. Anyway, all is well.

At the clinic this morning I only needed the antibiotic. Yesterday I got platelets and then a takeaway bag of Potassium. This was a pump and bag of fluid packaged up in a bag that looked like the fanny pack that went round the world. Fortunately, I did not have to wear it like a fanny pack. But my first experience with take home drugs and pumps was uneventful.

I feel the chemo fog settling in. On the one hand it's frustrating, on the other it seems to take the cares of the world down the road. More naps, less activity. I'm hoping I have seen the last of the nausea, for this round. My eyes are blurry, but so far I can still see the computer screen and the crossword puzzle.

Daily clinic visits for a while to receive this antibiotic (via IV) that is designed to kill everything in its path. I admit to feeling almost giddy that I've had chemo and come home and it all went exactly as expected. My confidence is considerably stronger facing the next round of preparation and recovery for the transplant. The liver counts are bobbing around normal and the site of the gall bladder surgery is comfortable.

Annie continues to send me daily snaps of Harrison. Today's photo included Conor and the dog!

Cathi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home sweet home! How awesome for you to be able to say that this week...and yes for everything to go as exactly as planned right now. Your positive attitude is catching!

Good luck keeping the chemo fog at bay and keep doing a great job of taking care of Cathi!

Love-
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Cathi,

I love reading the updates and how good you feel! And getting reports from Sara and Gail.

I'm holed up in DC as the cold weather settles in. Headed to Minnesota tomorrow where it'll be a high of 7 degrees. No reason to be out here in the cold right now!

Love you!!
Nancy D.

Unknown said...

Hope you enjoyed the weekend hanging out with Sara, Gail & Walt! Great to have you home.

Judy said something very wise a couple of days back. We'll still be here when you do have spare resources so spend time with us. Don't fret! We all love you!

Sorry I've been absent from the blog - as you know I've been somewhat tied up :)

lots of love #2 GOT