Saturday, January 10, 2009

Getting the body ready

Welcome to the world of odds and risks, otherwise known as doom and gloom. We met with Dr. McGuirk Thursday about going forward with the transplant. There were a lot of percentages, and percentages of percentages. It was very hard to listen to. Janice asked a lot of questions and each of them drew another dire possibility. I am leaving that information to Janice to be in charge of. I am doing the part where I recover from each phase of the treatment.

Someone has to be in the long term healthy survivors. Might as well be me.

The gall bladder is coming out Monday, the 12th. The HIDA test was uneventful, but showed that my gall bladder, aside from having stones, has no "squeeze power." I met with the surgeon Saturday and liked him. A resident was working with him and I inquired whether he would be in on the surgery. He replied "I'm too far down the food chain for that yet." The surgery is expected to take 45 minutes and I should be able to go home Monday night.

After about 10 days of recovering at home, I will go in the hospital to start the transplant process. There will be total body radiation and there will be chemo. Then the transplant and recovery. I don't have details about the protocol yet.

Walt will be coming back to donate more cells. They want them fresh apparently. He says he'll bring the next installment of Star Wars.

So I'm getting my head around this whole game plan. Considering my strong, healthy body that I have now. And preparing it for the abuse it's about to take. Little longer meditation time, little longer stretches in yoga, more writing. But plenty of chocolate...we're fond of chocolate!

Conor and Annie are here with Harrison this weekend. This is good preparation, cuddling with my grandbaby.

I am going to change the blog a little and take leukemia out of the name. That's not part of what I'm dealing with. Today, I'm just dealing with lousy bone marrow. According to what I read, this should be simple to do and to follow.

Cathi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm the FIRST to post -- how unreal is this? Yes, you are healthy and strong - going into this in such a better way this time. Have Conor post some Grandma pix with Harrison! Love to all. DEB

Anonymous said...

Greetings from the germ factory:

Sounds like it's "the next thing!" The chocolate is good---what a great time to gain several extra pounds and say to yourself, "I'll worry about that tomorrow!" When the gall bladder surgery is over, perhaps you can eat peanuts, too!
The picture of Harrison and his grandma is just fabulous--perhaps it can be uploaded to the blog!
Carry on, Captain Cathi!
Hugs, Janice

brianmargaret said...

All the best for the 12th Cathi and for your 'journey' ahead. We're sure you'll come through with 'flying colours'.
There's nothing quite like that cuddle with first grandchild - bet you enjoyed it !
Thinking of you, love from Brian & Margaret XX