Monday, December 20, 2010

Mon, 12.20 - Palliative Care Begins

Conor again. I almost feel like it's safe to say at this point any post on the blog will be coming from me. So unless you hear otherwise, assume it's me!


Mark and I arrived in KC yesterday to help plan some of the things we need to do in the coming weeks. First on the docket was seeing Mom and figuring out priorities. The easiest observation was her quick deterioration in her energy and strength in just one week. Walking up the stairs unaided is out of the question. She is sleeping a lot and at times is less than coherent. We do laugh after the fact about some of these comments. You have to.

Fortunately she's been pretty good the last 2 days and it's nothing more than her typical 'hearing challenged' repeats. An example of her mishearing something was yesterday when Janice (who recently had foot surgery) mentioned she has a bruise slowly growing through her foot and outside of her walking boot. Mom couldn't make that out and said, 'You have a spruce tree growing in your foot?' Literally just laughed as I typed that one... Trust me though, for those of you who don't know her - we've been laughing about her interpretation of what we say for 30 years. And she has a great sense of humor about it. After all, she does have very strong hearing aids and it's going to happen. Sure makes it easier when she laughs too.

This drop in energy levels required us to make a decision where she will spend the rest of her earthly time. After much discussion, she will be at her house and we're currently utilizing the services of a palliative care agency. They've been great and within hours had a hospital bed out. So she's set-up in her family room w/ the furniture rearranged to accomodate the rest of us sitting around, watching tv, chatting, etc. Often times she dozes off in the middle of these chats as it really does take a lot of work for her to keep up.

Gail also flew in Monday night to help complete her life video as Mom insists on her producing this after the way it had started. We'll be sure to share portions at the appropriate time.

Lastly, I should point out there are many projections out there on how long Mom will be around. We heard from some of the nurses that it may not be longer than a few weeks based on previous patients they've seen. That would be a little shorter than the doctors, but really - does it matter? We're enjoying time, getting things done, and crying appropriately.

6 comments:

Robbie Stanley said...

Conor, thanks so much for keeping us informed. Sounds like you and Mark are doing all the right things; I'm sure Cathi is relieved to be able to stay in her own home. Please give her my love.

Steve L. said...

Conor and fam, Rachelle and I continue to lift you up in our prayers. You have amazing strength through this difficult ordeal, as does your mom. Glad to hear you're able to take time to be with your family. We're here for you, bub.

Diane Reinkemeyer said...

I'm at a loss for words. Cathi is truly blessed to be in the hands of a loving and caring family. Know I am with you all in thought and prayer. Love you all. Diane

Debbie K. said...

Thank you Conor and Mark for taking such good care of your mother. Thank you for keeping us updated. Please know that you are all in my prayers for everything you need right now - courage, strength, patience, wisdom, comfort and understanding. Cathi is a very special woman, mother, daughter, aunt, patient and friend. She inspires everyone she comes in contact with. Enjoy this time with her and give her my love. I will plan to come up next week and stop by for a short visit.

gail said...

Cathi is an amazing woman and I am honored that she asked me to do the video of her life. Thanks to Mark and Conor for letting me film some very intimate moments. Cathi's sense of humor continues to shine through even now.

I need help from anyone who has pictures of Cathi from scouting activities. Each of you that have a photo or two of her that makes you smile and think of all she has done in her life to make Scouting a great experience would you please scan and send it to me? Denvergail@gmail.com. I would be very grateful for your help!

Thank you Conor and Mark for being such great sons.

Nancy said...

Conor, thanks for all the updates. Life can change so fast. Let your Mom know she is constantly in our thoughts. Not only for her comfort now, but in the way she has touched my life and makes me laugh and value each day a little more.

Love to all of you,
Cousin Nancy