Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sat, 12.18

Conor back for another round...

First, thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts after the last post. I think there are very few people in our family that haven't heard someone who's praying for them and us. It sure means a lot and honestly has the past 2.5 years. I'll be having a beer with someone that I see occasionally and they'll say, 'oh hey, how's your mom doing? I've been reading the blog and she seems like she's doing...' It's amazing how many readers there are that we don't even hear about. Just awesome.

Anyway, so yesterday we got prelminary results from the bone marrow biopsy - final results are expected next week. We knew by doing the biopsy we may not like what we would find, but as a family we wanted to better set our expectations. Even Abhyankar said something similar to that when I talked to him to schedule it. I think his exact words were 'I'm fraid what we'll find.' But he understood our desire to know.

The results are not positive. 17% leukemic cells in mom's marrow. This was probably worse than I even imagined as I was hoping maybe the leukemic cells, if they existed, were less than the 11.2% that's mom's blood. Translation - she has less than the 4 - 6 months we were hoping for. It's probably closer to 6 - 10 weeks. So we're moving forward with lining up some palliative care, hospice, and in-home healthcare resources to help out with keeping her comfortable.

I'm heading to KC on Monday to work through some more things related to her care and business. For her clients, you may be hearing from me over the coming weeks as we figure out where we go from here.

15 comments:

Glen Moulton said...

Yes we are praying, I'm sorry the news was not better regarding the cells.
I'm sorry.
Tell Cathi, we love her from Oregon, our cowboy fellowship is aware of your family and we pray.
Knowing is always better than not knowing.
I admire your family and Cathi's courage, I hope you enjoy this season.
Hugs from the High Desert.

gail said...

I am glad we have information so we can plan. It does not make it any easier, but having a plan is better than not.

Having this time to spend with Cathi and family is invaluable.

I'm glad to be part of this family.
love, gail

Anonymous said...

While I have never met Cathi I have been following along as a friend of Gail's and I have been amazed by her strength and her humanity. Please tell Cathi that she has inspired more than she will ever know through her strength and her humanism.

Anonymous said...

Connor - First time I am posting but do know that I have been thinking of you during this time and praying that things will improve with your mom. The results weren't want you wanted to hear but now that you do - I am sure you all will make the best of it. You are gone from the Lou - but not forgotten! - Emma E

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think of ya'll often and pray for your family lots and lots. Love you all, Erika

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to write,I dont want to even think about whats going to happen.As I did with my mother,Dear Number One Son, you are having to be practical,sad ,and many other things at the same time. This will not be easy but you come from good stock and will take care of it.Knowing Cathi,she will be your biggest helper. Much love to you all.
Nedra

Skip Peavey said...

Hi Cathi, Conor and family. I continue to pray and hope for the best. I think of you all often. Let me know what I can do to help out. I would like to see Cathi as I am healthy now and got over my virus. Hope to see you soon Cathi for a hug.
Skip@WebsitesWin.com .

Crazy Dave said...

Cathi,

Three words..... I love you.

Crazy Dave

Anonymous said...

I'm really praying for a miracle for you, Kathi, that is what it is going to take. Don't ever give up in wishing for them!!I'm sorry for the bad news, yet I believe in the power of prayer:D Merry Christmas to you, as well as your family!

Anonymous said...

Cathi,
I wish that I knew what to write to make you feel better & give you some good ole' KS farm cheer, but I was saddened to hear about your latest news. You, as well as your family have been through quite a long journey with the nasty C stuff. I'm keeping the faith in your recovery by praying to GOD for a miracle that you would be healed back into perfect health without any signs of C.

Sending you, as well as your family lots of love, hugs, and prayer!

Merry Christmas, Robyn Bonfy - Johnson

BAMc said...

Conor,

It's evident by your posts that your mother's imprint is in you. She is glad to know it is there. Thank you for keeping this community updated.

Cathi,

You have touched and astounded all, including the medical teams who have learned from you. Your spirit is strong and will carry on. Thank you for sharing with us. Know that you are in our hearts and prayers.

~

Anonymous said...

Conor and family,
You are in our prayers. I think of Mom daily. I'm here for all of you.
Houston seems like a really long way from you right now.
Love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Scott and I are always thinking of you and sending good vibes your way. Wish we could come home for the holidays and visit with you. -Sarah and Scott Moore

Sara said...

Conor,thanks so much for the very hard and sad update. Tom, Paul and I would love nothing more than to stop in at your Mom's house in the next week or two and share all our memories of good years spent together. Cathi was instrumental in helping son Paul attain his Eagle; she just couldn't work her magic to get him to join Venturing! Anyway, please let us know if we would be welcome. She may not want company other than family right now.

Sara and Tom Pistorius