Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thurs, 12.30 - Transitioning to Heaven

I really had no other way to title this post. The last day and a half has been surreal as Mom's begun her transition to Heaven.

Yesterday she was less alert than she had been and really only awake for a few hours in the morning. She did ask what day it was at one point. When we told her it was Wednesday, she put her hands up as if to say 'where does the time go?'. She also managed to drink a little tea and have a banana split with butter pecan ice cream and caramel coating. She also confirmed that her birthday was today. Unfortunately now that today's here I'm fairly certain she doesn't know it is.

After Wednesday morning, she began doing more of the things that the book the hospice group gave us said she would - picking at her clothes, mumbling incoherently, spiking a fever, and sleeping with her eyes slightly open. The book walks you through some of the end of life symptoms and is titled 'Gone From My Sight'. It's been helpful to gauge just where we are. One thing she has not done that some of you may have had loved ones do is talk to those who have gone before her. At least she hasn't said names that we can recognize.

Today's been extremely hard on all of us with it being her birthday and Grandpa and Grandma's wedding anniversary. There have been a lot of tears, talking about funeral arrangements, and sitting at her bedside holding her hand and talking to her. While she has only said a few things that are understandable, we're fairly certain she knows who is here and understands some things we say. She's given a couple of hugs and smiles, which make us all smile.

One thing the nurse mentioned yesterday that has been apparent is once a person starts to go, the pace at which they are going does not tend to slow. If anything, it quickens. That was just based on how much she had changed from Monday to Wednesday. When she returned today, I asked what it looked like now as near as most of us could tell it was going to be soon. She estimated today that we're a couple of days away. Her feeling is Mom will fall asleep and maintain that way for a while before leaving us. For me personally, it would be fitting for her to go on New Year's Day as that's when her Grandma Snell passed away (1.1.00). And Mom was extremely close to all of her Grandparents, filling us all with more stories than one could imagine. She's always been sort of a 'link' to the family's past in this regard.

The hardest thing about this time is it really looks like Mom will wake up and start talking to you. That or that she really has something to say. It's both frustrating and hard as we know that she won't.

All this aside, we keep telling her that we'll be ok. She needs to know from all of us that it's ok to go see those who have passed before her in Heaven and hug them, tell her great stories, not wear hearing aids, and look down upon all of us with her watchful eyes. Aunt Lori put it best when she said that we know she'll still be taking care of all of us b/c that's what she's always done. As the oldest of 7, Mom has always been a caretaker - an amazing one.

Given the nature of this post, I want to leave on a funny note. As I've alluded to earlier, Mom's always had an amazing sense of humor regarding her hearing loss. Two days ago the nurse's aides came to give her a shower. Afterwards, Mom was leaving her room with her chin tucked to her chest. The aide said, 'she says her neck hurts.' So I said, 'Mom, does your neck hurt?' In classic Mom voice, she said, 'Nuts? Conor, I don't have nuts. I have ovaries!' Man I'll miss those comments. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to look forward to a new year knowing you will not be with us in it. I hope you leave this life knowing how much you are loved and cherished. As I cleaned the other day, a poem kept swirling about in my head about you. I will have to get those thoughts on paper.

I love you my cousin and friend!
Cheryl

Sara said...

Connor, Tom and I read these last few posts this morning with tears streaming down our faces. Cathi is a real treasure to so many of us. She takes a part of our hearts with her, and our lives seem much more empty without her cheerfulness to urge us on. Our prayers are with her and your entire family. Sara and Tom Pistorius

Anonymous said...

Connor, I sat/cared for my mom just the way you are, almost a year ago. Cathi, my most fearless friend, was a comfort to me...words of wisdom and of course a few laughs. My prayers are with all of you as she makes her transition.

If you need any help with the moving of the iris bulbs, let me know. It would be an honor.
Melinda

Anonymous said...

Conor,
We have all been blessed to know your mom and she leaves.behind a great legacy in you, Mark, and her grandbabies. When I visited her in November she was so full of love for all of you. Cathi is the big sister I always wished I had and I will always cherish her as my beloved cousin.
Love to all, Donna Snell Bunyard

Anonymous said...

Dear Cathi I know you will not see this,but it helps me to write it.I Love you and I know I will see you agin,so save me a seat.
Nedra

Unknown said...

Conor, I read this post with tears pouring as it brought back memories of my father battling cancer 19 years ago. I had the same prayer every night...keep my daddy here with me..as I was only 14 yrs young. The Lord took him the night my prayer changed. I asked God to take him. To take him to a place he would suffer no more and live in peace. I know he is in Gods hands and I also feel he is with us everyday....watching over us. Yes, its been 19 years and it still hurts from time to time but continue to believe and know your mom is watching over you and your family and someday we will all be together again. Someone once told me that for those on Earth it seems like eternity before we will see our loved ones again but for those in heaven its like a minute because Heaven is so awesome. Your family is in my heart and prayers.
Connie Halferty