Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sat, 8.9 - Outside Day

While the weather in KC was a little dreery today, it was another positive day for Mom. We're considering a watch on Rhonda's parazzi since she seems to be the first to report everything. Maybe she's trying out for the National Enquirer. :) But per Rhonda's comment about receiving the picture today via 'family' text messages - she went outside.

I do want to make sure everyone on here is confident that the information you see here is the same information our family sees. I've continuously tried to provide accurate updates here so you know what's going on and there isn't any rhetoric swirling about. Mom has quite a network, and I know you would all love to see her if you could. She feels your thoughts every day, believe me. On several occasions she's made comments about people she would have never expected reaching out. On her behalf, thanks to everyone. It means more than you'll ever know.

Also, nothing has been lost in the mail so don't worry if you have sent a letter, card, or package previously to an address. The original address is working great as they love Mom and mail gets to her in a timely fashion. I have a feeling everyone's doing just fine given the sheer volume she receives on a daily basis!

Here are a couple of pics taken from 'Cathi's Day Out'.







Her comments were funny, 'it's just so weird to be out here.' You could tell she was very excited even though she was a little scared at first. The trip was only about an hour long as she still has to be on oxygen while outside. They'd told us we had 2 hours per tank, but I noticed when we got back inside that the tank was barely 1/4 full. So they may overestimate a bit on those things. That's also why you see her with the blanket though. The oxygen makes her cold when that's blowing on her face combined with the unseasonably cool 70 degree weather.

Most of the day was spent in the room doing normal stuff - eating, chatting, and resting. She's ever so happy to be stopping the steroids since it allows for more rest. On that note, we watched the Olympics and were preparing to watch Michael Phelps win his first Gold of this games and she ended up falling asleep only to wake up right after the race. Her comment was, 'I missed it.' That's ok, Mom. If you needed to sleep, we're glad you missed it! T
hey also discontinued another antibiotic today. Her comment regarding that particular one was, 'oh good - that's one that you guys wake me up in the middle of the night for.'

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the new doctor, Dr. Aljitawi (All-juh-tah-wee). In true Mom form, she likes to learn who all of her helpers are and he was no exception. He's a Jordanian-born doctor who studied here at KU, went to Stanford for a fellowship, and now has returned to bring the Bone Marrow Transplant unit doctor staff-level to 4: McGurk (head), Ganguly, Abyankar, and Aljitawi.

Now that's not even the reason I need to mention him. Janice and I got a chuckle after he left (and later Mom and I did) because he appeared to have a hickey on his neck! That was pretty funny, and man was I tempted to ask him about it. I'll leave that to Mom b/c I'm sure she can come up witih some funny way to bring it up.

Her WBCs are up to 4.1 so we're still trending up! I want to forewarn everyone that # could stabilize or potentially decrease in the next few days. They are transitioning down the Neupogen so Sarah, the Nurse Practitioner, said it's very normal to see that. So not a bad thing if the numbers decrease. We just need her body to continue to produce WBCs itself now.

That's it for today. Today was a good day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woopie! Good WBC number today. Looks like your bone marrow has finally gotten with the program! You are on an upward trend, but remember that sometimes trends have little dips here and there. So long as the overall trend stays in the upward motion, you're in great shape.

Welcome back to the outside world. Before we know it, you will be ready for regular outdoor activities again. Just keep up the great work.

Captain Cathi is in charge again!

Have a great Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Here I was in KC slugging through the rain Saturday morning working on wedding #2 or is it #3...anyway, I would have been celebrating had I known they really were going to let you feel some fresh air. That is truly great news. You have been such a trooper to put up with everyone knowing all the details of your days and I am sure you are sick of everyone "hovering" over you but just know how much we all care. We are truly elated that today was such a good day and can't wait to celebrate even more. Nick and Christie

Unknown said...

Good morning Cathi
We love to hear from Conor that "Today was a good day." So glad you made it outside for a while, and that your WBCs are still increasing.

Michael Phelps is awesome. I'm sure you'll catch one of his other Gold Medal triumphs.

Quick joke for the day:-

Doctor, doctor, I keep thinking I'm a dog.

Sit down and tell me all about it.

I can't, I'm not allowed on the furniture.

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday
love #2 GOT xx

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
Great to see you outdorrs enjoying the sunshine( yeah right) I guess you will have to wait for your next outing to see the sunshine. We are head down to Mom's today, John's bday was Friday so having a family get together, his sister is in from Virginia, I think she comes in to get tomatoes from Mom's garden and John believes she comes in to celebrate his birthday. We let john enjoy his fantasy.

This joke really hit home for me I remember some of the techer conferences when my kids were small.

A wise school teacher sends this note to all parents on the first day of school: "If you promise not to believe everything your child says happens at school, I'll promise not to believe everything he says happens at home.

Keep up the good work. We are all sending positive thoughts your way.

Love Ya
#3 GOT

gail said...

Cathi,

You look so wonderful in the photos despite the chill. The pics made me smile knowing how much progress you have made and how much you enjoyed being outside. It is the small things in life truly.

After I posted yesterday I realized I failed to mention the month that I will be there. ooops. It is September, more than a month from now; that is when Bluegrass happens. I am taking a week off for Winfield and since I have a ticket r/t to KC then that's what I'll be using. Since Sara & Dennis have their in-town place, it will be a quick stop-over in KC then on to Winfield to get our campsite set-up.

Shall we get a blow-up doll (for the "G" campsite guys) and hang a Captain Cathi sign around its neck? LOL. That will be a photo op.

Conor is doing such a great job of keeping us all in the loop. Thank you so much for all your work Conor.

Keep it up Cathi! You are doing such a great job of being in charge of your own care and getting better step by step.

Love you!

-gail

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathi!

You look great! So good to see outside and looking so much more comfortable.

We are settling in with new jobs. I am working as the reservation manager at Sushi Neko on Western and my husband is cooking at Nonna's in Bricktown. Lots of hours for both of us but we both love to work so that's cool.

You are such an inspiration! Keep on doing exactly what your doing and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers daily.

Love,

Nina

Unknown said...

Cathi - you look so happy to be outside. Happy for you!
You might have been cool but you wouldn't have WANTED to be out last week. I thought I was going to have to ask to borrow your ice bags! After days & days of 107 - it hit 110 and all the humidity to boot! It was too hot for this tough old gardener to go out!

Is the bone marrow still on for tomorrow? I'm sending all my best vibes to have the BEST results!

I dreamed last night of finally having our put-off shopping trip with Diane. It is GOING TO HAPPEN. DEB

Skip Peavey said...

To see you outside was such a wonderful surprise! I see good things coming your way!!! I sent some "short" jokes your way via email .... doctor related so you might enjoy.

Still thinking and praying for you,
xoxo Skip

P.S. Say hi to Mark, great picture.