Friday, August 1, 2008

Fri, 8.1 - Upright Again

There isn't a ton to report today, but the news to report is good. This morning's Ganguly Report (I feel like we should have some kind of news station acronym for his daily visit!) brought decent news. He felt like her left lung still had some infiltrates inside, but the right one was clearer than it had been. He was also very pleased that she made it through the night on the blowing mask set at 50%, and they talked later about reducing that percentage some more. Maintaining overnight did require some anxiety medication to ensure she didn't have short breathes. It isn't anything to worry about though. His only negative over the previous 24 hours was the temperature spike around 8 PM last night.

He confirmed she won't go back to 41 until Monday or Tuesday due to hospital overload. I guess they're currently diverting people who come to the ER. So unless something changes and a room frees up then she'll stay in ICU through then. He also said he expects WBC regrowth by next Wednesday or Thursday sometime. Based on our marrow biopsty conversation yesterday, I have a feeling he went back and looked at his diagram of her treatment to come up with the estimate. Either way I'm happy to have a 'line in the sand' where if we get regrowth prior to that we're happy!

There were a lot of naps today as Mom continued to rest up and still extend herself when she's awake. The two key activities today were physical therapy and gin rummy. She played gin rummy with Janice for a few hands, and I have to say it's funny to hear her play. She'll talk about how the hand's going to take a while or she's trying to figure out what to do. Then all of a sudden she'll say something funny about pitching her cards and lying down. That's about how quickly it goes.

The gin was after her physical therpay routine today. We had to focus on Brendan (PT guy) taught us b/c Ganguly told us this morning those guys don't work on weekends, and we'd be responsible for continuing any PT work she was going to do. But I've attached this picture sequence that should be worth more than a 1000 words...



That's right - she was standing for a bit (you can see her air boots that stimulate blood flow in her legs). She was going to sit in the chair for a while, and I would expect that to take place before too long. I don't think Brendan really knew what to do with her b/c he asked her if she wanted to do something. I told him, 'She'll want to do anything you'll let her. She'll at leat try whatever it is then tell you she can't after trying.' We all know what I mean!

10 comments:

Robbie Stanley said...

Ah Ha! Post Position goes to the Vermont contestant this morning!
Cathi -- all good news from yesterday. You're looking really good in those photos -- vertical becomes you! And I'm glad to hear you're getting some gin one way or another!
Since Joan raised the bar with her aardvarck joke yesterday, here's one for today:

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Adam!
Adam who?
Adam if I do and adam if I don't.

sorry,
Robbie

Anonymous said...

Good morning! East Coasters get the worms this morning. Didn't realize dancing had become routine PT work, but Brendan looks like an able partner. Does he know any good line dances? Wonderful to see you upright, and nearly back to your regular room. Ready for some more swimming?

Cyber hugs!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
Janet must be sleeping in today. Good to see you upright (love the moon boots) and that you are able to sleep. The humidity has broken here and the weather is actually nice.
John is doing manly things this morning,out sealing the driveway. The cat is out on his leash under a tree watching him and looking at all the birds buzzing around.
Emma is 2 years old today can you belive it don't know where the time has gone. I am hoping we get to see her in September, my niece is getting married.
So Robbie, are we up for a little healthy competition, lets see how this compares, I have to keep reminding myself this is a blog where God and evryone can read my senseless meanderings

Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Quacker.
Quacker who?
Quacker another bad knock-knock joke and I'm leaving!

Okay okay i know everyone is groaning but I bet Cathi is smiling.

Love Ya
GOT #3

Anonymous said...

Good morning,
Your Rose Hill,KS cousin here to join the early birds. I'm only up because Matt had a 530 am scout trip.

Love the moon boots. Kevin had a pair just like that in 1979. How cool are you girl?

Love and prayers,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, I'll never get the worm.
We're eating fish this weekend. A great time was had by all. David's a little sore from reeling in all those fish.
No Knock knock joke but........
Have you read the book I Pee Nightly by Rusty Bedsprings.
Sorry. I just had to get in on the fun. ( Ok so it's only fun for me.) HA HA
Keep the good news coming. You are a trooper. Brendan looks pretty cute.
Love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Happy Day to the Maynard family. This message goes out to Jane and Virgil. My prayers are going out to you as worried parents. I can't imaging what it is like to see one of your precious children going through this health crisis. But you know I do understand and have experienced all too well the rollercoaster of emotions of watching someone you love and cherish go through this. I am so sad for you... and wish you hope and inspiration for better days. Your friend, Toni Hicks

gail said...

Cathi,

Wow - you standing upright is such a welcome picture. I'm reminded of that saying "How do you eat an elephant?" One bite at a time. We are all cheering for your successes!!!!

I've sent Walt packing, back to K.C. We went out last night (me & the dynamic duo of him & kevin) and dragged ourselves home at some hour well before midnight. I will let Walt regale you with stories (embellished or not) of our evening with the guy at the bar from Arkansas with the xW from hell and an itch in his britches. OMG - I don't think I've laughed so hard with or at anyone in forever.

I'm sure there were many things that I promised myself to share with you, but for the life of me I cannot recall any of them. Darn brain cells anyway.

I had a good panic from Ben after he arrived in Tel Aviv Friday evening. He called (from the bar next to the hostel) to tell me that he lost all his money. Dear Gawd, just what did he expect me to do with that information? 30 minutes of angst later, he called to tell me he found the money on his bed at the hostel. "Sorry mom." Yikes. He will have his Kibbutz assignment this week and then he will be working. Long hours. 6 days a week.

I look forward to every day's report from Conor. He is doing a fabulous job keeping us all in the loop. Thank you Conor!

Sending all my love your way.

-gail

Rhonda, DJ, Winston and David said...

Good afternoon from Pasadena! Back after a trip home to see Cathi. Excited you are on your feet again! The PT looks hunky and Cathi looked divine with her soft white cap that Mom lovingly sewed the bee onto...now she has a bee on her bonnet!
Trish and I took Lori to lunch on her birthday Tuesday to Wally's in Gardner, Kansas! We brought Cathi a souvenir...a pink camo knit cap with "Wally's" embroidered" on the front. Cathi chuckled. The cap is a great addition to her growing millinery collection!
Special thanks to Conor, Mom, Janice,and Mari for being with Cathi all the time. AIRXO, Rhonda

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi
Okay, okay I'm well late. Had a bit of lie-in after a super evening with Kylie - and suddenly realised I had to be out the door to meet Chris for London and the theatre matinee!! Glad Robbie got pole post position today :)

So, you're upright. That's good! After all that 'gin' rummy I'm impressed!! Soon you'll be sashaying down the hall with Brendan. Be gentle with him :)

Kylie, to be on that stage after battling breast cancer, was inspirational. Her energy and vitality shone through to everyone in the arena. Just like your energy and determination are hugely inspirational to all of us out here that can only stand on the touchlines, cheer you on and shout 'Go Cathi'!!

I'll come with a joke for tomorrow...

love Janet xo

Anonymous said...

Cathy,
Good to see you upright, guess you know my darling daughter has moved back to OK with her husband, Ralph. He's a Chef and I'm loving it!

Knock Knock
Who's There
Orange
Orange Who?
Orange you glad your physical therapist is such a HUNK!

Once a dirty old broad, always a dirty old broad!

Love and Kisses,

Nedra