Saturday, December 13, 2008

Another dog story


It’s difficult to photograph a black dog, even one as anxious to please as Hayward. Here he is in the front yard of the lake house, which might be his favorite place. He loves to jump off the dock and fetch anything out of the water. A ball, a toy, a stick, a duck….. The first time I took him to the lake we discovered this affection of his. I threw a ball off the dock. He jumped in the water and collected the ball, swam to shore, jumped up the three foot sea wall and trotted back down to the dock to do it again. I threw the ball for hours, Dad threw the ball for hours, the neighbors threw the ball for hours. We were all having fun.

We came home and slept. When I roused Hayward to go get the paper the next morning, he limped out and limped back. He didn’t eat much, he wasn’t interested in fetching a stick, just not his usual self. After three days of this, I took him to the vet. I was worried he had giardia, an infection pets get from lake water. She looked him over carefully then told me to take him home and give him enteric aspirin. He was sore from all the fun at the lake. Since then we restrict the fetching at the lake to 5 throws at a time. He knows this. On the 5th throw, he collects the ball, exits the lake and trots back up to the house.

I’m feeling wonderful since Thursday in body and mind. The news of the high donor chimerism brought my total recovery much closer in my head. I’m finishing up my Christmas projects and making plans to move back home. Guests will still be limited to one or two at a time, and I can’t go out. I'll need someone to do laundry for me because the washer/dryer are in the basement and that is off limits still. And someone else will be grocery shopping for me. But I just think it’s time for me to start acting well. And being in my own house is the next step.
CM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#6 or #7 on the what to do when you are free again..... Re-sort everything in your house. Do a little nesting, do a little dance!