Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tis the season to be jolly!


I dutifully reported to the clinic at 7am today, accompanied by my sister Mari. And Dr. Abhyankar reported to me that my bone marrow is actually 90.6% donor. What Mary was working from Monday was the blood. (Remember Dr. Ganguly ordered both tests on the same day.)

Dr. A said that the blood is usually behind the marrow.... he was clearly pleased with the results. He believes that as I continue to taper off the transplant drugs that the donor cells will take over the rest of the marrow. If a booster is necessary, they will do that after the 100 days. So I need the bone marrow biopsy after 100 days to show more than 90.6% donor. It just needs to be higher than the last one.

My blood counts were up. The WBC was 1.9, but the ANC was .7 meaning I can celebrate with a salad! I get a printout of my blood work each time I visit the clinic. Two pages, one CBC and one chemistry each with 12 or 15 line items. (you can look it up, I don't know what CBC stands for.) When I started this process every single line had an (L) or (H) beside it for low or high compared to normal. Today there are only 5 or 7 (L)s on the list. Most of them are beside the cell counts that I chronicle over and over.

Mari and I danced and cried all the way out of the clinic. We got in the car and shouted and celebrated and called my family all the way to Starbucks for a celebratory coffee. This is the greatest news!

This purple christmas tree appeared on the deck at Mom & Dad's after dark one night. Someone set it up, plugged it in then thumped on the window on the way out. I thought it looked especially pretty with snow on it this week.

So altogether now! let's boost those XY cells from my donor brother over the last 10% of my puny cells. I am forever grateful to the folks who are carrying me through this adventure.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears and cheers from your sisters, who have been burning up the atmosphere with our cell-phone celebrations today! So sorry we can't be there to hug and dance and cry with you, Cathi!! But since the ANC is up, that day will be soon, even for us refugees from germ factories, right?!
You go, sister!!

Janice

gail said...

BIG CHEERS FROM THE COLORADO CONTINGENCY!!! Woohooooooooooooooooooooo.

Keep up the great work, Cathi! This is absolutely wonderful news.

love, gail

Anonymous said...

This is SO GREAT to hear!!!! We are celebrating with you!!!

Love-
Liz, Andres, Adam & Nicole

Anonymous said...

Man I am so great there are two of me. Just kidding, that is the best news I have heard. Houston was not so fun wondering how your test results were, but I coped by having a wonderful steak, Oh the things you miss in New England.

I am not sure there could be a nicer Christmas gift than to see you get better and your spirits so high. Yes Virginia there really is a Santa Claus!

Do a little dance... Make a little... Get down sister.

Anonymous said...

Fa la la la la, la la la la!

What wonderful news and a wonderful day. Yippee and yay! That is such great news and I'm dancing right along. You go girl!

Love,
Donna, Gary, M&M

Unknown said...

As Walt says - there really is a Santa Claus! That's the best Christmas gift we could've wished for.

Just a measly 10% to go...do you remember Status Quo? Steve & I are going to a gig of theirs tonight and we'll be celebrating our boot-stomping 'Rocking all over the World' dance with you!
Keep rocking #1 GOT!

love #2 GOT

Anonymous said...

When I said I was looking forward to the day we could celebrate, I had no idea it would come so soon. But let the celebration continue. This occasion deserves THE COOKIE!! See you this weekend.

Robbie Stanley said...

And we're rockin' in New England! Great, wonderful news. It just puts a whole new light on everything. I hope your salad was delicious.
Love, Robbie

Anonymous said...

Great News!! My eyes did not deceive me. You looked great and full of energy. I told Hayward. He nodded Yaa! then Hayward, Winston, Phoebe & I walked joyfully to the park.

Anonymous said...

Good news on the tests. Keep up the positive attitude. you WILL defeat this thing.

Debby said...

A big Woo Hoo from Wichita! Sounds like it's time for the Salad Days, which according to Wikipedia:

"Salad days" is an idiomatic expression, referring to a youthful time, accompanied by the inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence, or indiscretion that one associates with a young person. More modern use, especially in the United States, refers to a person's heyday when somebody was at the peak of his/her abilities—not necessarily in that person's youth.
Great Job Cathi/Walt!
(I like the more modern use)
Debby & Steve Layne and the Hoheisels are celebrating too.

Mags said...

What great news!!! Very exciting!!! We are happy dancing in Kentucky for you!

Love-
Margaret

brianmargaret said...

GREAT NEWS CATHI !

We'll raise a glass to you when we join Janet at Christmas.

KEEP IT UP !

Love Margaret & Brian