Friday, September 18, 2009

normal is flossing

Friday again and I've not updated. I spent yesterday at the clinic unexpectedly, after two nights of diarhea. I was tired from being up at night, a little bit dehydrated, and just felt bad. But I got some fluids and some rest and feel like a new woman today.

I had to cancel PT yesterday so will reschedule that for next week. I have been doing the exercises though you can't tell it from any strength gain. sigh.

On Tuesday this week I saw Dr. Abhyankar and he spent a lot of time with me. He explained that this is how it is when taking prednisone. You work to exercise and the prednisone takes it away. It works on your hips and thighs especially. He said again and again "You are doing really great!" Reminded me that I had a tough time with the transplant (I didn't know any better) and that I am doing the right things by exercising and getting out. But it's hard to gain weight while taking prednizone (even though my face looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy.) He gave me a scrip for Fosamax to slow the bone loss from the prednisone.

Yesterday nurse Amy told me they expect patients to look like me, to recover slowly like me. Even though it seems very slow to me, it's what they expect. So all in all a good report. Just have to slow my expectations.

Now, about normal. Normal is flossing. I've been able to floss my teeth for a while now that my platelets are staying at 50k and above. Soon it will be eating anything I want. Someday it will be wearing clothes that fit. I'm a ways from normal but I have today and today's "normal."

My cousins and my friends are in Winfield this weekend at the Bluegrass Festival. Next year, when I'm back to normal, I'll be there with them.

Cathi

4 comments:

Judy said...

See - I told you you would recognize normal and today is normal. That is a good thing and shows a lot of progress. Just keep thinking of all those places you and Harrison are going to walk together when this is all behind you. That time is closer every day.

gail said...

We are so looking forward to having you at Winfield with us next year!!!! We miss you this year (and missed you last year too), but know you are getting better and on the mend.

Sending you lots of hugs and lots of "normal".

-gail

Robbie Stanley said...

Hurray for flossing! Flossing is the essence of normal. Not long now before you'll be regaining one piece of normal life after another, and then just living the life of normal, and one day you will be flossing and remember that at one time it was a long-sought-after privilege.
Congratulations!

xox

Unknown said...

Ola from Cala d'Or - on the beautiful (but currently cloudy) island of Mallorca. Keep up this normal malarky - its good for the spirits.
Love #2 GOT xx