Monday, September 28, 2009

Sideburns and Sidewalls

Taking prednisone for a long period of time is full of new surprises all the time. I now have sideburns. ugh. I can't really cover them up with my hats and dew rags without producing loud and continuous feedback from my hearing aids.

My hearing aids need to be replaced but I can't go to the places of my choice because of the possibility of GERMS. And I'm not sure that would help in this case anyway. You cover up the holes in the hearing aid, you get feedback.

To shave or not to shave? Should I have to make this choice? My eyebrows already rival Andy Rooney's, though they are still dark rather the shaggy gray he has chosen to sport.

Moving on up my head, I still have sidewalls. No hair on the sides. A sort of wide mohawk starting from my prominent widow's peak in the center of my forehead. Normally this widow's peak is an attractive feature of my hairline. Now it is merely the starting point for a Micky Mouse cap-like frame for my moon face.

Folks have been commenting "you have hair!" I had no idea it was creeping down the sides of my face, soon to be Elvis-like in appearance. Perhaps this calls for some of those shiny, chrome sunglasses Elvis was so fond of. Perhaps it calls for a mullet wig.

I'm wondering if I can produce a white cape in this season of costumes and goblins. I wonder what the children trick or treating would make of an emaciated looking Elvis dishing out their candy--or bananas and peanut butter with a side of bacon.

ha ha. I make myself laugh. I did have a Red Robin burger last night and it was tasty and juicy and full of fat. I even indulged in a few french fries.

Saturday was a beautiful day and my friends Debbie and Ernie came up and took me to the garden center open house. Debbie had photos of her yard and a landscape designer helped her choose the right tree for the right place, then we bought a new shrub for my yard which they planted for me. Ernie cut the wild rose completely back, including dismantling the trellis, loaded up all the debris in the truck and hauled it off. Meanwhile we had a picnic on the deck at my house which was delicious. I felt good all day Saturday too. No sour stomach which seems to be almost constant these days. A wonderful day.

Mom had to spend an extra night in Paris and will not arrive home until tonight. Something about the plane and delays, then cancellations.

I feel good today and Lori is here cleaning one more time before Mom comes home. So I'm going to take some time to see if I should dress up as Elvis or Mickey Mouse.

Cathi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya Cathi
I'm in pole position for the first time in months!

Don't know whether to chuckle or commiserate on the sideburn dilemma. The sooner you can ditch this drug regime the better! In the meantime, I vote for Elvis.

Glad to hear you had such a lovely day on Saturday. Must have been great to sit out in your yard.

I've just read that ginger chewy candy is good for calming nauseous tums, especially after chemo. Do you fancy some? If so, I'll put some in the post.

Keep making yourself laugh - I love to think of you giggling.

lots of love #2 GOT

Rhonda, DJ, Winston and David said...

Dear Cathi, I will never forget the day I went to pick up a girlfriend for a night out in Westport and she had white cream smeared all over her upper lip!! I did not know anyone had to do that to look good! 6 girls in our family and you think we would have seen it all! Anyway...skip the razor...CREAM, CREAM, CREAM! It bleaches and/or makes the hair fall out! One of the perks of being the oldest...you do everything first!! Good luck. (Oh, if you decide to keep the sideburns...go with Elvis and charge your visitors admittance! Elvis is the most profitable delab..dead celebratory...second to none. Which I know you already knew!) XO