Saturday, September 12, 2009

Normal -- YIKES!

I've been away from the computer this week mainly because I don't know what to say. I'm feeling pretty good, still weak, but no real pain. I had an odd headache pain last weekend that turned out to be lack of hydration but am drinking copious amounts of water now to make sure that doesn't happen again.

The blood counts are good. Actually the white count is even doing what it's supposed to. When I had the headache it went up to 10 and when it went away it went back down to 5 or 6, which is normal. Platelets are rising and hemoglobin is holding steady. All good omens.

I started physical therapy yesterday. It's going to take about 4x the energy to get results equal to a non-steroid body. I'm hoping that when I get to the end of the steroids that all the muscle work is just "there" like all the sudden my bottom will be round again. LOL

The nurses are all talking about "when I get back to normal" and frankly, it's scary. I've been sick and isolated for so long that I'm a little uneasy thinking about complete recovery and getting back to a normal life. Even though that is what I can expect at this point. It will be close to the end of the year again before I get completely free, and back to my own house and work.

I guess I'm also a little bit afraid to hope; to count on this. Even though it's the next logical step. and my position since I first got sick was to put my head down and do the next thing that's indicated. Count on the prayers and support from my family and friends and just do what's in front of me to do. Perhaps it's been so long that I need some retraining on what being healthy looks like and feels like. Perhaps a little meditation.

Meanwhile I have discovered Gordon Ramsay on the BBC channel and am enjoying the heck out of his shows. Mom is headed for Paris with a girlfriend next weekend for a week. I go to the grocery store about once a week, got permission to visit the Nelson, and walk the treadmill at least once a day.

So I'll try to update more regularly as I come to terms with "getting back to normal."

6 comments:

Sara Beth said...

Love the good news. So many adjustments behind you and to come. I haven't. been to the Nelson in 20 years, I wonder why. Love and hugs from Winfield. Jasonis posting pics and vids to the Blue Heaven blog for you.

Sara

gail said...

Normal is whatever you decide it will be! You sound so healthy. Normal worries about what comes next. Wow! That sounds very normal!

Sara, Jason, and I are getting our camp set up. Actually Jason is at the airport picking up Nancy right now. We will make more than a few toasts to good health tonight. Jason has been putting video up for you.

Judy said...

So good to hear from you again - we get a little worried when you are gone for a while. I have no doubt that, considering where you have been, you will recognize "normal" when it returns. Just keep the shoulder to the wheel and making progress.

BAMc said...

Yea normal!


~Woohoo!

Walt said...

So many things to do, so little time. That is not always the best of what normal is, but having the liberties will be a bleassing. Glad to see you made it to the game yesterday. Caroline was so happy to see you yesterday, and was happy for the time at the park watching Anthony play.
I guess we will be looking for you and the Chiefs to both get back to normal. I think you will look better than KC when you are back.

Walt

Unknown said...

Gosh - what is normal?? Normal is chasing your tail and reminding yourself you're doing 'good enough'. LOL.

And Gordon Ramsay!! He's renowned for turning the airwaves blue. The language that comes out of his kitchen!!

Do you know he was destined to be a professional soccer player until injury made him change profession?

So out of scary curve-balls in life's path, good things can come out the other side. Like Gordon :)

Wishing you a happy, upbeat day.
lots of love #2 GOT xx