Sunday, September 20, 2009

Some cheese to go with that whine?

It's been a rough weekend; and I'm not talking about football. I've had the runs, my stomach has been upset, sorta takes the git up and go outta me. and I'm going to whine.

My vision is blurry, my hearing not up to usual. This is the prednisone and/or dry eyes. I have some artificial tears which don't seem to make enough difference to matter. There is very little hair on my head so I wear some kind of hat all the time to keep from sticking to the back of the chair. Sometimes the hat is hot or uncomfortable or both. And I have hot flashes which make my entire back stick to the chair!

My feet tingle. This varies by the day and night. Sometimes at night the tops tingle so much it keeps me awake. It feels sort of like cold but more covers don't make it warm. I wear socks to bed and put a quilt over my feet. The extra weight from the quilt seems to help. But really it's better when for whatever reason, the tingling subsides. This is from the chemo and may or may not go away.

Food tastes funny. And it depends on the day too. Right now I have a new box of Christopher Elbow chocolates and chocolate does not sound good at all. The funny taste goes for drinks too. Water sometimes just will not go down. I switch to Gatorade or Crystal Light then. But still I can't seem to drink enough.

I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I'm nervous of too many drugs but I try a lot of different things to get some sleep. Sometimes I can't sleep because I'm sick--I spend a lot of time in the bathroom or something. Sometimes I just can't sleep. I try reading and crosswords but refer to the blurry vision (which also applies to the closed captions on the TV.)

I still can't seem to eat much fresh food without consequences in my gut. I got a new scrip today which seems to be helping but it tastes totally nasty. It's something mixed in corn oil and it's hard to get the taste out of my mouth.

My left shoulder and arm don't work right. I can't lift any real weight with it. I think this is because of the PICC line and the blood clots; the docs think there might be some damage to my rotator cuff, which of course can't be dealt with til this is all over.

I take a slew of pills. Granted this is much easier now than it was fresh out of the hospital. In reality I don't gag anymore. Nevertheless, I dread taking them just as much. The physical memory of the gagging has not gone away. Adding this oil stuff is just appalling.

My blood sugar is erratic. I'll be asking about that tomorrow. My blood pressure is high, and normally it's very low. This could be the current drug regime or it could be the prednisone.

I am still isolated and restricted. I can't go where there are crowds and dirt. Everyone who comes in here has to be vetted. I don't have much energy to go anyway. I am missing weddings and birthdays and parties and new restaurants and plays in the theatres.

And that's just how I feel today. Out of energy. I'm not out of optimism even though this is a bag of whining. My friend Sharlyne was here yesterday afternoon and spent the night and was good company. Friend Sally brought supper over with lots of treats. Brother Walt is coming to spend the night tonight. Sistah Trish is coming tomorrow and spending the night. I am sure that coupled with getting my gut settled down, these new faces will freshen my outlook.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey Cathi, your time for partying will come...we missed you at Winfield but have lots of plans for next year when you will be joining us. I'm joining you with both whine and cheese tonight, it's just part of life. LOL!

Cousin Nancy back in DC

BAMc said...

No worries. Your blog community is the place to un-whine.

My whine is that I have never been to Winfield and I always wanted to go. At least I have my own flat pick ability.

Hang in there. You will be trending better. Hope the friendly faces ease the nuisances.

Judy said...

Hey Cathi, this is GREAT! You have shared the negativity so that we can help you carry that load. It's good to get that out of your system!

Now that all the negativity has been disbursed, can we begin to count your blessings? I would like to offer the first -

God has blessed you with a family who loves you and will stand by you as long as it takes to get you well.

Would anyone else like to join me in enumerating Cathi's many, many blessings?

walt said...

Cathi, While not quite a virgin, I have not had enough of Winfield to be considered a veteran. But then I think this is my first time without the big sis along. We missed you. It was good seeing you again, & glad the meds are drying things up inside. We are just 17 days away from 100. Thursday the 8th will be here, and a whole new opportunity to measure the progress made. Keep on truckin girl. Walt

gail said...

Cathi,

The fact that you are realizing all the things going on around you (& to you) is a great sign. A year ago, you didn't have any idea of any of it!

We missed you at Winfield. But, you're going to need to pick up more tips from the Hell's Kitchen guy - you have some competition since we've had to fill in for you. Liz makes a mean Masala - wow.

Less than 2 weeks to go until V-day (or is that C-for-Cathi-day)?

Sending you all sorts of good karma and lots of love,

-gail

wv = audgess. What I do when I cannot clearly hear the conversation. Usually results in foot-in-mouth after I've guessed wrongly what they've said.

Robbie Stanley said...

You get more comments when you whine - you notice that? There are still many more things to get through, evidently, before you resume normal life. But it's closer; it's within your reach. There's still some stuff to get figured out - meds doses refined, side effects to resolve. It's tough, we know. We wish we could take more on. We wish we could be there in the middle of the night when you can't sleep. But you're getting closer, little by little. You'll get there. You'll be at Winfield next year and maybe I'll go, too.
xox

Anonymous said...

Dear Cathi,I had a for crap week myself. Heart rate dropped to 40(Mickie and I have been going to weight watchers we have lost about 30 pounds each)so my heart meds were to much. I had to stay down while they lowered the dose. My eye Doctor says the pressure is up and wants me to use these drops till Nov. and then we will know which way to proceed.Proceed means there going to cut on my eye, he is not fooling me.If not for the fact he is so good looking I dont think I could stand it.Being a dirty old broad can come in handy sometimes. I dont have to be in a good mood all the time and I damn sure dont have to like it. Having said all this I now feel better.Love and Kisses Nedra