Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The PICC line is OUT!!!!

The PICC line came out yesterday. Unexpectedly. Happily. Whoosh, whoosh. Mary came in to change the dressing and Dr. McGuirk said "let's just get it out of there!" Despite having to spend all day at the clinic because I did need some minerals, I did not care.

Taking a shower today without wrapping my arm in Glad Press 'n Seal was a real pleasure. I only had to dry off once. With the Glad wrap I dried off, then peeled off, then dried again, the drips from underneath the wrap.

And the ongoing problems I've had with the movement of my left arm, relative to the rotator cuff are clearing up quickly. As soon as they pulled the line I could lift my arm in the direction I had not been able to. It will take a while to regain strength, but I have patience.

So big milestone.

I've also started taking insulin for high blood sugar. This is a hopefully temporary thing until I get off the prednisone completely. This is such a weird new experience that I don't have much comment on it now.

Today I walked outside twice, just around the cloverleaf cul de sac where I'm living right now. I've been encouraged to get out more. Not that I can really go anywhere, but the weather is particularly beautiful and as long as I don't step (and roll) on any dropping walnuts, I'm fine. Very shaky and I hold hands with a guide for the trek.

I'm expecting the return of my sense of humor any day now too.
~Cathi

5 comments:

gail said...

Cathi - that is wonderful news!

I'm going to venture a guess that as your blood sugar nears normal your sense of humor will indeed return. (The relatives can all attest to that fact). LOL.

So glad you get to enjoy the beautiful weather while you're outside IN it. Woohooo!!

Sending you hugs and high-5s!

love, gail

Diane said...

Wow!! Congradulations. The removal of the pc line is big. Enjoy the beautiful weather. I did while in Kansas. Soon as made it to the Oklahoma border the heat returned. I looked a little strange at the truck stops in Texas in long sleeves and long jeans. Everyone else was in shorts. Thinking of you daily.
Love Diane

Anonymous said...

Good,Good, and Very Good!!!!!!!!
Lose a line and gain an arm. Im so happy for you. It is so nice when medical stuff is not needed anymore.
They have backed me off all my heart meds and I feel so free.Normal life for me today is patching some drywall in one of my rental units.It,s interesting what gets me hot at this age and stage of my life.LOVE AND kisses, Nedra

BAMc said...

Ding, dong the PICC is gone! Yet another milestone to normal!

I have to laugh at this blogging. I too find myself reading the word history of ennui at dictionary.com and have you tried googling mullet wig? lol.


With your humorous descriptions and observations you are keeping us educated and entertained as well. So I sense your humor hasn’t left the building it was only Elvis.

Put your best :) forward!

Unknown said...

How wonderful to be free of the PICC!

And how lovely to stroll round the block.

Enjoy these tangible steps towards normality.

lots of love #2 GOT