Thursday, November 19, 2009

Time to move home

Last night I had dinner with 3 girlfriends. We took our time, enjoyed the conversation and the food. Laughed a lot. As I was driving home, still feeling high, a signboard popped up in my head "It's time to move home." When I said as much to Mom she only said "it's going to take a van to get your stuff back up there."

And it's true. I have a whole life here. In one room. Well almost in one room. I admit to spreading out here and there with a project. I even have fat clothes and skinny clothes. I have winter clothes and summer clothes. Only 3 pair of shoes though.

Each of the last few weekends, I have taken at least one bag to my house that did not come back to Mom's with me, so I've started the process. At supper tonight I proposed that perhaps I should come over and fix dinner every night. Mom & Dad both thought that was a great idea. Cooking is more fun with an audience and I tend to not do much when I am alone.

But Mom and Dad are gradually returning to their former lifestyle too. They've been to Tequila Harry's for 95 cent tacos the last two Monday nights. A weekly ritual for years that included Mom's weekly beer; they only visited Harry's when I was in the hospital over the last 16 months. Mom has been going to her book club and meeting girlfriends for lunch. More people drop in, still family mostly but even that had dried up when I was sick. Friends are surely not far behind.

Today I got my H1N1 vaccine at the KC Cancer Clinic. The hematologist I saw for 11-12 years before getting sick is at that clinic. The nurse who gave me the shot said "tell McGuirk and Abhyankar hello from Mary Beth." I asked if she had worked with them at St. Luke's and she told me she had worked with them, AND had a transplant with them. Holy Cow! Not so many years ago. She looks lovely and healthy (plenty of hair) and said she goes to the clinic every 6 months. Anyway, I will be seeing my old hematologist Monday as that was a requirement for getting the vaccine from them. I'm still surprised that the KU Cancer Clinic does not have the vaccine.

So I'm going to sign off here and go upstairs and see what can be moved, and try to locate packing containers other than grocery bags.

~Cathi

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cathi
That is wonderful, wonderful news. Trust your instincts to know when the time is right to do these things.

And the nightly supper-fest is a great idea. Your folks are going to miss having you around - for lots of reasons, not just the nursing/caring aspect.

You'll be up partying all night every night once you're away from your Mom's watchful eye :)

Please take it easy. lots of love
#2 GOT xx

Anonymous said...

Dear up and about and kicking it Cathi. Sounds like fun is coming back into your life. It is fun for me to read how you are living life.
Please know that you can come to Okla.City any time and fix Dinner for me. It,s just my little way of trying to help.
Love and Kisses
Nedra

gail said...

Oh Cathi,
When things change in your life, they certainly change quickly! It is amazing and wonderful.

I'm sorry I won't be to help you move home, but I'm sure a pizza and a few beers will lure some strapping young men to your immediate aid!

Or at least a few bottles of wine to celebrate with friends once you're there. (that does sound enticing).

Who is cooking for Turkey Day? Do you have some of your interesting recipes ready?

wish I *COULD* be there to help you move home!

love, gail

Walt said...

A bottle of wine in the booth at Cathi's. Those spontaneous drop ins that resulted in great cheer and conversation. I am looking forward to it already and planning which wines to buy and stock your kitchen.
We have your packing needs and plenty of little ones to help push items all around. Just name the day and we will be there to move you back home. And Mark & I will make regular visits to adjust, trim, and keep it fresh and new for you. Walt