Monday, November 2, 2009

The itch to get well

I have been at my house on Craig since Friday. It has been a fabulous long weekend. Sharlyne stayed with me til Sunday and Walt spent the night Sunday night. This morning I am sitting at my kitchen table with my computer looking out the windows at my gorgeous back yard. Just like the old days. The sweet gum has finally turned completely yellow and is dropping its leaves; the Japanese maple still has enough glowing red leaves to be a pretty contrast. The plants at the base of the deck are in some stage of color and it's just lovely to watch. And it is familiar.

Saturday Sharlyne and I painted the town. We started shopping at Macy's and I have some new items that FIT. Then lunch at Houlihan's (their new small plates menu is tasty and inexpensive.) On to the Bloch Building downtown to watch "Palomino" on the Copaken Stage, a theatre with nearly perfect acoustics and a very worthy play. We went to see Sharlyne's bathroom remodel in progress, then took the long way home. I saw the new building that has happened since I've been inside, most notably the Kaufman Center for the Performing Arts. That's a spectacular addition to the skyline. We picked up Jack Stack carry out for supper, then hosted trick or treaters. And watched "Slumdog Millionaire."


Walt and Suzanne brought Anthony and Caroline over to TorT. I have bought or made their costumes since they were born and this was my first opportunity to see them live. A very good Halloween! I'm posting a picture of them here. The biggest bonus was to realize about 9:30 Saturday night that I had been going all day and still felt great. Before I got sick I would have flagged after the theatre for sure. The day was just exhilarating.

This week I have lunch plans with scout friends. Clinic visit on Wednesday. I'll be pressing for driving privileges and a date for flying. Little by little I am rejoining the world.

The desirable rash is now present over most of my body including my face and head occasionally. I itch somewhere constantly. It is the itch to get well. I'm happy about it!

~Cathi
.S. Anthony, 10, is Indiana Jones. Caroline, a few days shy of 12, is a Renaissance Witch.

6 comments:

Walt said...

I got the pole position, on a Monday. If only Big Brother knew.

Great to see the counts back again to improving & you getting a weekend in your house. Anthony & Caroline were so happy to see you again. We are all so happy to help you get back into your house. We will have to get them over to do your leaves when the have all fallen. But only once, only Grandpa gets the constant leaf work....
You look great and we can not wait to have you over for dinner and a bottle of wine. Walt

gail said...

I am in awe of your rapid recovery in the last few weeks. Just amazing and inspiring!!!

Great costumes for Caroline & Anthony. Perfect! And having them rake the leaves is an excellent use of their abundant energy.

Can't wait to share a bottle of wine with you two. Or three.

love, gail

Robbie Stanley said...

Wonderful, all wonderful.

Unknown said...

An exhilarating day! What a wonderful blog to read!

And to be back home looking out the kitchen windows - I can picture you sitting there so clearly.

I'm so excited for you. Hope those privileges continue to roll in.

lots of love #2 GOT

brianmargaret said...

We found your blog really uplifting -we are so pleased for you Cathi. Hope you continue to enjoy the simple pleasures in life...............and maybe Christmas in Chicago...........!

You are a very brave lady.

Love & best wishes from us both,
Margaret & Brian

JG said...

Cathi, I'm so happy for you. The Trees are inspiring this year, and I'm glad you didn't miss them.

When are you going to puplish a book on this "Adventure". In adition to the blogg, Peggy keeps Janean up to date. John G