Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thurs, 7.31 - Little by Little

Today's entry was almost titled 'Live and Learn' as that's how today started. I'll share more about that later, but I knew the title was right when Mom said those words to me describing her current status! I started smiling and pointed at my laptop (these are often written over multiple sittings - get up to hold the tray to spit, adjust pillows, get Kleenex, or the frequent nurse and doctor visits).

So the reason for Little by Little is there was progress today, but not as quantifiable as the past couple of days. It's one of those days that remind you it's a marathon and not a sprint. Ganguly said the lungs were clearer. They're just not an additional 10% and when pressed the best estimate I could get was 2 - 5% better. He said they're definitely a lot better than Tuesday when you reference that X-Ray.

Additionally the WBCs were at 0.2 today. We continued to reiterate to Mom that the other aspects are getting better, and that's all we can hope for. Now the good thing is about her hitting 0.1 a few days ago then still maintaining a low level is it should help out with the next piece.

Ganguly almost and I mean ALMOST called for the bone marrow biopsy today. He tentatively scheduled a time even. But by the time he left this morning he was pretty convinced he wouldn't. The reason is we're in a very in-between state. Chemo took her WBCs all the way down and they wanted the biopsy last Saturday or so in order to confirm everything was dead (it likely was considering we went all the way to 0.1). But now we're in a state of regrowth - just not full maturity. He said that should come sometime in the next 5 - 7 days. The risk is he could misinterpret cells today as non-leukemic due to their immaturity. And knowing that we will probably use some GCSF treatments based on this biopsy, it's good to be conservative.

Now additional good news came in the form of some clarity regarding relocation back to 41 (Room # TBD but it won't be 02 and I'll update her 'address' when I have it). Ganguly said Monday b/c he'd prefer a full staff versus the weekend shift on transition. But I did overhear the ICU docs talking to him and he said he's leaving it up to them. Then this evening her nurse from last night told me she thinks she heard tomorrow. Either way, we're all happy and proud that it looks like she'll get to trade-in her penthouse for the middle class digs on 41. It'll be back to biking and exercising there!

The reason for 'Live and Learn' is she tried to push herself as hard as she did yesterday right out of the shoot today. It started when I was exiled during the morning shift change, and she asked for her laptop. Well she realized that once she starts reading emails she churns on them in her head long after she reads them. And that lead to some anxious breathing. So she requested I let everyone know emails are great to receive and are getting read (some much later than they were sent) but don't expect answers. The blog is the easiest place to get in touch with her as she asks us daily to read the posts to her. Even then, there is some paraphrasing. :)

Additionally, there are no outside guests for the time being. We appreciate all the support, but just cannot risk it for her right now. The health is one thing. But she really does love people, and she tries so hard to be 'on' when people are here. It really drains her so we'll let everyone know when it's good to come by again.

Once she settle down for a nap (more on this later), she had her first physical therapist visit. He said she shouldn't have any issues transitioning back out of here as he was pretty happy with her leg strength and overall range of motion already. That was good to hear. He commented several times that she's way ahead of a lot of the people he works with. It was interesting for Mark and I to watch though. He left her bed in a form that required her to pretty much sit as though she were on a dinner or office chair - the range of motion for these hospital beds is crazy for those that haven't watched closely enough!

Well she started to fall asleep. And knowing how uncomfortable it can be on your neck when you wake up from a nap in that position, we asked the nurse to come in and adjust her bed back. That started off a string of about 3 straight doctors and nurses back-to-back-to-back. Mom looks at me afterwards and says, 'See, never fails. If you want someone to come in, lie down and take a nap.' Luckily we did have them queue up like that though b/c she took a good 2-hour nap after that. She actually requested the same (where the nurse adjusted her back to - not the upright and locked) position tonight!

They've also kept the lowest oxygen mask on her at 50% overnight. When she pulls this off, that will be a great turnaround from a few days ago. She's nervous about it, but I told her it's like training wheels. She's gotta ween off it so no better way to do it then go overnight.

I think the best highlight today is other than the motivational signs, cards, blog chants, and emails - she's got a visual she's utilizing. I guess several years ago there was a skit at Bartle (the scout camp she frequents often) where the 'Pneumonia Brothers' came in. She literally laughs every time she tells the story. Imagine Mom with a glass of wine in one hand, holding her other hand out to excitedly tell the story, and that laugh she has (cracking herself up a bit) when telling the story. Those of you who have been around long enough know what I'm talking about. Couple that with a little bit of the funk she's got in her lungs and a slightly weakened laugh / animation then you've got a pretty damn good visual of how she says 'Pnuemonia Brothers' - deep, raspy, with a laugh.

So anyway, her visual is the 'Pneumonia Brothers' in her backyard and they're surrounded by all the good fireflies she's caught. She's running around catching only the good ones and throwing the Pneumonia Brothers into the area to get eaten by them. I have to say - I Love It and she does too.

That's it for now, folks. Be good!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning Cathi
I'm late this morning so didn't expect to be first to post.

Little by little is good. Huge leaps can be followed by a fall-back, and can use up large reserves of energy. So little by little, like the little but very effective fireflies. I love that visualisation.

I'm in the office today. Seems strange as I haven't been in here for what seems like an eternity! Sloping off doing other cool things in the past couple of weeks :)

Joan's right about the WW1 museum. I checked with a volunteer and he explained the full exhibit down below only opened a year or so ago. It was well worth the visit.

Right, my frenetic social calendar isn't over yet. Steve and I are going to see Kylie perform at the 02 Arena in London tonight. Why do all these things come at once, like buses (as we Brits say)?

I hope you can get back to the 41 Arena as soon as you'd like to, and watch those fireflies killing off the Pneumonia Brothers. HaHa.

lots of love from 2nd Girl on Tour
xo

Robbie Stanley said...

Good Morning!
It wears me out reading about everything you got done yesterday and even if it felt like small steps! I love the firelies too; it's a wonderful summer picture.
Three weeks done as of today and you have accomplished so much. We'll all be looking forward to news of continued progress, whether it's a room change, less oxygen, the biopsy or just getting a two-hour nap; it's all good!
Love,
Robbie

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kansas,
I have fallen into a routine, in the morning as soon as I get to work I check the blog to see how you are doing, I don't know what we would all do if it wasn't for Conor keeping us updated. There is not too much exciting going on around here. Did I tell you my sister has arrived from Florida to spend a couple of months, so far so good.
I have to tell you this story, I was in the Target store yesterday and ran into my neighbor, she has 3 little girls one 3, one 5 and one 7 years old, they have seen my really short hair as they have been to the house but I had my wig on when I ran into them and they looked at me with amazement. They thought it was great that my hair had grown back in two days time and wondered how I had managed to get it to grow so fast. It sure made my day seeing them so curious. I of course explained that it was magic and that their Mom would tell my secret when they were in the car.
I know it shows a complete lack of originality but I have resorted to old knock knock jokes to keep you laughing and a good laugh will make you feel alot better at least that is what they say.

Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Aardvark.
Aardvark who?
Aardvark a million miles for one of your smiles.

I'll bet you are smiling now.
Keep up the good fight and don't get discouraged, just take it one day at a time we are all routing for you.

Love Ya
#3 GOT

Unknown said...

Cathi -- Oh my, 3 weeks, I bet it seems a lifetime to you!

I still can't believe everything you are going thru. I almost hate to post anything, you know me - I'm still so angry and upset that you have to go thru this, I can't get thru a post without tears. Above all, I don't want my attitude to spill over and upset YOU.

But, anger does get adreneline flowing & makes me work harder....so I'm sending my adreneline to you to give you an extra boost!! Now, for sure, you'll have the energy to get thru the transition back to 41 and KICK all the CRUD out of your body!

Since I've sent all my energy to you - I think I'll go back to bed now - haha. DEB

Linda said...

Cathi; Keep up the good work. Progress is good. Love the Pneumonia Brothers getting eaten by fireflys. Don't forget your cheerleaders are still here ...

Go Cathi, Beat those Bros
Soon you'll be dancing on your toes! (Baddd... but good intentions.)

Have a great day!
Love and Prayers and Hugs. Linda

Patty Mahoney said...

Good Morning Cathi,
Like Joan, I also have my routine every morning. Rush to work, turn on the computer, get my coffee while computer boots and read the Maynard blog before I answer messages or talk with anyone. Everyday you are making progress and love reading all the comments from all your friends. You are so blessed with Conor, Mark and Annie. I really appreciate Conor keeping us informed. A Big congrats to you on your first grand baby. I didn’t know until I read someone’s comment. With Mic getting married next year I hope to have a little one in the future also.
Looks like you will be moving into another room soon and I’ll keep reading and see when a short visit is possible. I’m off to Houston tomorrow and will be keeping track of your progress in the Lone Star State. You have a lot of people sending good vibes, cheers, chants and most of all prayers your way. I know we are going to beat this and looking forward to having that glass of wine and laughing soon.
Hang in there and be tough
See you soon
Love, Patty

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kathy,

This is Nina checking in for Nedra. She says to tell you that she is "blog deficient" so she wanted me to tell you that she sends you love and "white light". You are in our thoughts and prayers every day!

Nedra, Nina, and Nicole