Sunday, November 23, 2008

Waiting for baby

Conor and Annie are going to the hospital at 10:30 tonight to start the birthing process. The doctor hopes they get some sleep tonight to prepare for the big day tomorrow. Annie's mother has been in Chicago since mid-week helping finish preparations. She will be staying for a couple of weeks to get Harrison and Annie settled and happy at home.

I had a long chat with Conor today and I feel a bit weepy confronting the event of a grandbaby via web cam. I can't believe that baby is going to be born without me there! But I am here and I am getting healthier by the day and focusing on the long term brings me back to my task at hand.

I finished a baby quilt and sent it off this week. Conor and Annie report that it looks good in the room. A few weeks ago I put on my mask and boldly entered the quilt shop with paint chips from the baby's room to choose the fabric. There were only 2-3 other people in the shop including the staff, but I still felt very brave and daring in such a public place.

I have heard the story often of when I was born. My parents were still in college at K-State and I was born in Manhattan. My two grandmothers lived in Winfield in south central Kansas and my then single Uncle Wendell was designated to drive the ladies to Manhattan. Wendell reports that is the only time he ever drove the car with two old ladies when they wanted to go faster. He says "I could drive as fast as I wanted and nobody complained. They were both in a big hurry!"

And when Conor was born some years later in Winfield, my grandparents were visiting the next morning before the sun came up. Grandma had a set of gifts all ready for any event, and we got the boy collection. My parents arrived for his homecoming. I remember Dad marvelling "this baby is a perfect little person. 10 fingers, 10 toes, everything is there, it's just little."

Now in this age of technology we are waiting for Harrison to arrive and I will be able to see him "live" using the internet. But he will still be a "perfect little person, 10 fingers, ....."

Cathi

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! I get the pole position tonight.

Thank God for technology so you will be included in the process of welcoming your first grandchild, albeit from afar. And thank God that you ARE here and growing stronger and healthier by the day. It won't be long until you will be able to spoil that little perfect person absolutely rotten!

So glad you had a happy, busy week with girlfriends. Now this week will start off with another happy event.

Hang in there and count your many, many blessings every day. That light in the tunnel grows ever brighter.

gail said...

I've been sitting on the edge of my chair awaiting word of Harrison's arrival. Now I can relax, but just a little bit.

Cathi - you are so fortunate to get to see it all from so many miles away. What a miracle in itself! (and in our lifetimes - what will they think of next? - oh, that's up to the Conors and Harrisons now!)

Congratulations a bit early - but this is so exciting I can't wait!!

love, gail

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear of Harrisons arrival. What a blessed event. Doesn't seem that long ago Conor was just a little boy himself. You'll love watching your children be parents. All those parenting things we did and they rolled their eyes. They are coming back out of their mouths as parents. It's so fun to watch. Grandparents get to sit back and watch and love them all. Can't wait to hear.
Diane

Anonymous said...

Wow, I take a break for the weekend and so much has happened. Great to hear the updates, and we are waiting to hear about the new baby. You folks do not know cold. It broke 25 yesterday, it is like a heat wave up here.
We are getting ready for Thanksgiving as well, any special items for the menu this year Cathi? Likely not going to deviate much from the menu, and we will make up for having lobster omletes, steamed lobster, lobster bisque, lobster & steamers, etc.
Lobster is cheap this year, I hope to get a dozen off the boat on my next trip to Maine.

Anonymous said...

Hoping to find Baby news of Harrisons arrival. Hope the web cam is at it's best. Will check later.

Mags said...

I think we're anxiously awaiting the update for today!!!! I hope the webcam was working properly today!