Saturday, November 29, 2008

I am grateful for scouting friends

I have spent most of my time being thankful this weekend. A long time ago a friend told me to make a gratitude list with 100 things on it. She suggested this as an antidote to feeling sorry for myself. I started the list with my house, my car, my kids, my job and realized my needs were met. As I continued the list I started listing my friends and my family. It was easy to get to 100 items. If I sat down to list the things I am grateful for today, just my scouting support group would number over 100.

I have been a "hanger-on" in Boy Scout Troop 91 for many years. We define hanger-on as a parent who keeps coming to meetings and activities after his or her son stops coming.

While I was in the hospital I received cards every single day. And every day there was one or two or more from scouts and their families. Since the transplant, the troop has been sending me photos of themselves. Special pictures of members holding signs that say "We miss you." and "Get well." The pictures are of kids and adults [and 2 dogs] and have been the highlight of my weeks.

Thank you Troop 91 Scouts and Scouters!

I have also worked in scouting at the District level and many of those folks' names appear regularly in my email, blog posts and on cards. Some of the best jokes and some of the biggest groaners, but always good for a laugh.

I am especially thankful to the folks who stepped up to help my Venturing Crew when I fell off the radar. Terry Dodson and Bobanne Kalkofen accompanied 4 teenagers to Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base this summer. Mark and Sarah Curfman have taken responsibility for organizing the crew for meetings and monthly activities.

My fellow Wood Badgers in the Owl Patrol and on the 2004 staff have been big boosters. Lots of phone calls and visits (some in the black hole of "they did?") emails, blog posts and cards. It will be a big whoooooooooooooop-ti-do when we gather again.

I'm grateful for all of you. Those who have called, emailed or visited. Those who have prayed, those who have just thought about me. Thank you.

1 comment:

Lora C said...

Cathi -
A big thank you to "you" for all you have given to scouts over the time of your involvement! I met you, at Woodbadge, teaching the shotgun portion at Briley Creek. Then we "bonded" once again at PA dining hall in 300 degree heat during Venture Blast, cooking chicken, lemon bars and more food than I had ever imagined.
You have touched so many people over the years, both kids and adults.
I am proud to say you are a friend. I have followed your progress through your blog.
I have prayed for you at daily mass and I see the miracle of faith working in your life!
God bless you and your family during this holiday season - and to the new addition as well!

Love,
Lora Christian