Saturday, June 27, 2009

Checking into the hospital

I’m in the hospital. I’m comfortable and relaxed. Sharlyne picked me up at the clinic today and brought me here along with snacks and a new pair of reading glasses. She is always prepared for everything, but not necessarily for anything. I invited her on a float trip with two other women one time and she suggested I might not know her very well.

Today was a completely different way of arriving at the hospital for me. I have a bag with pajamas and clean underwear, a book to read. I have some toiletries, my own kleenex (hospital kleenex should be donated to boy scouts for fire starting) and some extra crossword puzzles. Usually I am being ferried to the hospital by someone and one or the other of us is calling for clean underwear, the phone charger, shampoo and other stuff. I feel slightly more in control here. And I aim to fly under the radar and be low maintenance.

Things went smoothly at the clinic this morning and I got a few hugs for good luck from the nurses when I left. All the chemo has been dripped into me. So I am rinsing furiously with salt water and pushing the anti-nausea button if I so much as belch. No vomiting or mouth sores.

My computer has been acting strangely and I discovered a virus on it! I can’t imagine how that happened. I feel like my customer. I did have an experience like a customer this week. Often when someone calls me about a computer and I sit down with it to fix the problem, everything works fine. I call it the “Cathi Karma.” This week when I had the anti-nausea pump slung around my hips, I could not get it to work one morning. And when the nurse at the clinic tried, it worked fine. “Clinic Karma” I reckon.

I have an IV drip of the immune suppressant drug Prograf (or Tacrolimus.) The dose I’m getting for this transplant is higher than I received for the last transplant. And it’s being handled differently too. Tomorrow is a “rest day” meaning no chemo, then Monday the transplant. The actual transplant is really like a transfusion. It’s just a bag of special cells. Walt is having the most trouble since he is taking the Neupogen shots. He’s kind of squirelly. Besides a headache, he can’t focus for long, and he’s just bouncing off the walls.

On Monday he will be hooked up to the apheresis machine that will pump his blood out, run it through a centrifuge to extract the stem cells, then put the leftovers back in his other arm. They expect it to take 4 hours to get 500 cc’s or stem cells for me.

Being in the hospital is a good place for me right now. The focus is squarely on my recovery. I cannot do anything about what’s going on in the rest of my world so there’s no point in fretting about it. A physical shift is a good tool to get my head square.

Cathi

7 comments:

Judy said...

Cathi - Never thought I would be happy to hear you were in the hospital, but. . .you sound so much more positive than you have lately. Enjoy the physical shift, the feeling of being more in charge and concentrate on getting well.

Good karma going your way.

gail said...

And Walt is different than normal, how? :) (I love you too, Walt!)

You sound so relaxed, Cathi. I'm glad you are feeling good about everything! And I'm glad you have extra crossword puzzles to keep you occupied!

Sending you lots of positive vibes and extra Cathi Karma!

love, gail

Unknown said...

Only 1 day to go - and you sound totally in charge and ready for it. That's great!

Cathi Karma - we'll be sending huge amounts of friendship karma to add to the store.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. hope it all goes smoothly.

lots of love #2 GOT

Robbie Stanley said...

Cathi - Good to hear all your ducks are in a row there. Your have simplified your life down to the basics - crossword puzzles, reading glasses, clean undies and a good friend to get you where you need to go. Enjoy your rest day today (don't forget to rest). We'll all be thinking of you a lot in the next few days and looking forward to the next posts.
Love, Robbie

Rolf said...

Hi, this is Gail's friend Rolf again. Best wishes to you on your hospital stay. I'm with ya on that hospital kleenex business: what's up with that, anyway? Maybe they're trying to encourage people not to sneeze?

Just in case you ever wonder whether it's "worth" keeping up your blog: not only is it a great outlet (although whoever invented crossword puzzles should have a city or something named after them), but it's undoubtedly a GREAT resource for others going through similar challenges. I still remember how, back when we had some medical issues with one of our kids, it was so incredibly helpful to read a blog written by another parent whose kid was going through the same thing.

My mom's 81 and does the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle religiously. Keeps her sharp!

Unknown said...

You do sound very happy and more calm than the past week or so. Very good to hear that you are feeling good and "in control" of what you can going into tomorrow.

We're excited for you (and Walt) and also send our thoughts and good karma your way!!

Go USA National Team!!!

Love-
Craig and Margaret

diane said...

Cathi- you sound ready for the challenge. I'll be thinking of you all day, as everyday I do, but today is special. Good karma is with you.
love
diane