Monday, June 15, 2009

Strategizing

I've had some great suggestions since Friday's post about strategizing. Airborne protein, fish oil, and bunting.

I particularly like the bunting idea. Here is the quote from Debbie's email.

"I know you want to hit a grand slam but remember, a bunt is still effective to get you on base and eventually score a run. Last night, Brian's team faced a really tough team and they soon learned that trying to hit out of the park was usually just caught. They changed their strategy and began just trying to hit grounders in open spots and even resorted to bunts but they ended up winning both games rather easily. "

My spirits have been pretty good as long as I'm not too tired. I've had some trouble sleeping with all the medication changes. On those days I remind myself I'm tired, and this will look better when I'm rested.

I've recalled the times early this year when I was in the hospital and everyone was getting discouraged. The doctors kept talking and suddenly one day came up with a crazy idea. They checked with their colleagues at other transplant centers, gave it a try, and presto, here I am. It wasn't a grand slam home run, but it boosted my white cells enough to hammer the pneumonia. I know of other cases where their creativity has paid off. So I figure I will leave it up to the coaches and just continue to play my position.

I may download "Take me out to the ball game" to the iPod.

Cathi

5 comments:

Walt said...

Once again I am in the poll position. Sending lots of support from Western Nebraska. Not that there is a lot of anything in Sidney, NE.
Just like all the times before we will get through this. I look forward the news on Thursday and getting back into this. Together we will pull through this.
In the meantime, might I recommend watching Blues Brothers to pass the time. Just like you they are on a 'Mission from God.'

gail said...

Or you can watch the Rockies as they close in on the wildcard position!

Cathi I am always amazed at your ability to see the possibilities. Bunting - now that is truly a good strategy!

Sending you lots of love & lot of 7-inning stretches!

love, gail

Anonymous said...

Cathi, bunting is such a good analogy. Small steps get you everywhere. Kayla led her team in hitting with a .438 by bunting all season this year. It was frustrating not to see the home runs, but put the ball down and run like hell. It can take you a long way. Love you Lori

Robbie Stanley said...

Hi Cathi,

Love the bunting analogy - a very effective strategy. Higher on-base percentages are more effective than trying to hit it out of the park every day. And you can watch the Red Sox hold on to first place in the AL East - that's what I'm doing tonight. Hang in there,
Robbie

Conor said...

I'd recommend 'Centerfield' by Dan Fogelberg (I think that who sings it). The chorus about 'put me in coach...I'm ready to play...today...look at me, I can be-e...centerfield' reminds me a lot of you. You are a tremendous teammate, captain, and are always eager to play. That's what's gotten you this far. Now this transplant will get us all over the hump.