Saturday, June 13, 2009

Not what I expected to hear

Yesterday Walt and I went to the clinic for the "Consent Meeting." This is a meeting with the patient, doctor, transplant coordinator, and [usually] family member where we get the lowdown on the transplant procedure. We hear the risks in frightening detail. We get info about the protocol the team has chosen for the transplant, the dates. We sign and move forward, usually in a few days.

Yesterday's meeting started with Dr. Ganguly saying "This is not a consent meeting." Immediately I knew the transplant was delayed again. They want another clear bone marrow biopsy before proceeding and they want the liver counts to drop closer to the normal range. It was VERY unexpected given the meeting with Dr. Abhyankar on Tuesday and various remarks through the week.

Extremely disappointing.

Dr. Ganguly speaks in absolutes. "This may kill you. But if we don't do it you will die for sure so it's worth it to do this procedure." There is no sugar coating, no soothing, and not much talk about what is positive. It was difficult to sit through without crying. Actually it was difficult to sit through without screaming "What happened between Tuesday and today?"

Apparently what happened is the liver counts skyrocketed last week. They do seem to be coming back down nicely but that is not resolving the knot in my gut.

The team was also stunned by how good the pulmonary function test was. Beth, the transplant coordinator, showed me the results and all were over "100% of expected" ranging from about 116% to 156%. These results also added to the uncertainty of how to proceed.

The discussion yesterday was that I might have either another Reduced Intensity Transplant or a fully ablative transplant. The chemo preparation for an RIT would be twice as tough as the first one last September and the protocol different to give the donor cells more opportunity to kill the recipient cells and take over. The fully ablative transplant is on the table because my lungs are in much better shape than anyone expected. (I keep telling them I was a competitive swimmer.) Both types will use Walt as a donor again.

It will be a long week while I get a bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday and learn the results on Thursday. I've been working feverishly to get ready to be in the hospital for several weeks and my momentum detoured on a side rail yesterday. I have daily clinic visits to get the antibiotic but they will only draw blood every other day. So on alternate days I have a 30 minute visit. This is good, but I confess to missing the social interaction of the clinic. I did not realize how important it was to me.

I have a lot of movies to lose myself in. Am in the middle of a very good book. Still haven't walked on the treadmill enough to listen to all my old CDs. Shoot, I haven't even finished sewing the border on that big quilt I made in 1986 or so.

My house is ready for me to live there but I do not expect to move there with the time to transplant so short. I have been going up there for small tasks and it does feel good to hang out in the house.

So another curve ball in the penultimate inning. Hopefully the pitcher will send me a fast ball that I can hit out of the park next time I'm up.

Cathi

6 comments:

BAMc said...

Wow the rollercoaster just keeps rolling. It seems your medical team is doing everything to make it as right as possible. In the meantime you have become an expert in learning to reset expectations and adjusting.

Movies sound good. It seems your Roy Hobbs ready to connect with the Nebraska corn husker pitcher. And connect you will.

In addition to your regimen can you take salmon fish oil supplements? They seem to be good at restoring many areas of the body like the heart and brain so to it would seem that it might be good for the liver. Might consider asking the doctor.

Keep the faith and all will fall in place to make it the right time. Thanks for keeping us updated and remember you definitely have nationwide support out here! We’re your virtual social interaction.

brianmargaret said...

Worldwide support even !
We're thinking of you here in the UK and goosey is sporting the Kansas sunflower sundress to remind us of you.!!
Hope you have a date for the transplant soon - all roads lead that way now.
You're in our prayers.
Much love, Margaret & Brian

Robbie Stanley said...

Hunh - not what I expected to read on your blog today! Looks like your karma is for you to really really learn to take things one day at a time. Twists and turns and what can you do about it? You count up the good stuff - movies to watch, CDs to listen to, books to read, people to connect with, and keep on following orders and doing the best you can. We're behind you, a day at a time.
xox

gail said...

I'm impressed that you remember you have a quilt to finish from 1986. Wow. :) And you have lots of other things

We're sending you lots of positive thoughts & prayers. Keep your chin up.

love, gail

gail said...

Cathi,

If you haven't seen my blog posts, here are some of the comments friends have left:

Robyn (Bonfy) Johnson
at 11:15pm June 13
She is in our prayers!!!

Sue Thoma Hartman (my friend Sue from High School)
at 6:43am June 14
I know what she is going through and she will be in my prayers.

Rolf Gunnar Asphaug (another dear friend of mine who has left you messages on the blog too)
at 8:34am June 14
Sending more prayers your way, Cathi and family! Hoping it's a temporary setback and that the docs quickly get the results they need to schedule the transplant.

gail said...

I meant to say "my posts on FaceBook"...


(ps - the funniest verification word yet: boogier. Has to be the kind that are long & stringy....)